My forever family

My forever family

Friday, October 7, 2011

Being a parent is so rewarding!

What wonderful two weeks these have been. We have had hot sun and rainy days, we've done a lot of swimming and running, reading and playing, listening to prophets and apostles, and we've visited museums and seen great shows.

As the cold weather was taking its time in coming, we took every opportunity in going swimming. Swimming in September is the best!
Every Friday, the cross-country team competes with other teams in a major race. They are divided in groups according to their gender and grade. My kids really enjoyed it, especially Jefferson who loves competition. Knowing that, I want Jefferson to know that I was very proud of him for staying with his brother and sacrificing winning. This was their first meet, and Jefferson was concerned that James might get lost and so he stayed with him the whole time. Way to show brotherly love and responsibility Jefferson! I was very proud of James for running and doing well although he was one of the youngest in the whole group! Gillian was really glad to run alongside her best friend Mary, and and I was proud of her for giving her best although she wasn't equipped with the best running shoes. And lastly, hurray to Charlton who was an awesome fan alongside Zoe, and who ran fast when they offered a mini race for the younger siblings. He kept saying to his mom "Fast, fast." Don't let his cute chubbiness deceive you; he is a fast runner.

On Tuesday, September 27, both James and Gillian had their first field trip. I had already signed up for Gillian's field trip when James showed me his forms, and my heart broke when I saw tears in his eyes as I told him that I couldn't go with him. So, I decided to ask Elijah to go with him. James's face beamed when Elijah told him he would go with him. They visited the Lindsey Wildlife Museum and James had a wonderful time, and it had very little to do with the animals they went to see. Being with his father all by himself had made his day!

On the same day, I went with Gillian to the Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. I have to say this is my favorite museum in San Francisco and was looking forward to seeing it again with Gillian. I chaperoned three other kids, but Gillian and I held hands the whole time. We were inseparable. I love my daughter, and I'm so glad we've a strong relationship with each other. I also enjoyed taking a bunch of very fun pictures of the things that we were able to visit that day.

On Thursday, Gillian's teacher had received free tickets for the Wizard of Oz musical showing at our Walnut Creek Civic Art Center (her husband plays in the orchestra). She was a bit apprehensive about parents wanting their kids to have two field trips in a month. I took the lead on that and we made it happen. Lots of parents showed up driving since our charter school is based on parents' participation when it comes to transportation. Gillian was so excited to be with me again and see the Wizard of Oz. Since she loves the book, the movie and the songs, she was thrilled to get the chance of seeing the play as well. I was happy to be with just her for a few hours and share our love of music and plays.

Lastly, I know I shared something already about my kids' cross-country running, but I wanted to share something about this Friday's meet. This time all the kids of our team were going to race together. I told Jefferson that he didn't have to wait for James this time since there weren't many kids and James would be okay. Wow, did he take that to heart! Jefferson gave it all in this race and came in fifth competing with 5th graders, and his time was the same as the 3rd and 4th! Seeing James running and passing Gillian and never letting go, and seeing Gillian running and smiling although I knew she was tired, made me want to be in a better shape myself. Thank you my lovely children for inspiring mom to get in shape!

What do your kids inspire you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment