The week after didn't bring much change either. I did take care of the accumulated laundry and cooked some healthy dinners, but at night I started watching movies instead, taking a break from reading. As you might have noticed so far this year I've become obsessed with Downton Abbey, reading and watching BBC productions of any novel by Charles Dickens or George Elliot, and Shakespeare adaptations by Kenneth Branagh. As with other movies and productions before, I would stay up all night till I finished all of the episodes. This was very entertaining, but as you might have imagined a bit tiring especially when you have to chauffeur and feed four active kids the next day. Well that knowledge didn't deter me from doing the same thing this past week. Except that I obtained two new obsessions. The first one: the BBC adaptation of Sherlock Holmes mysteries into a new and amazing 21 century version. I had watched the first season some time ago and had thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't found the time to watch the second season, so one night I just sat and watched it all. I wasn't disappointed. With the exception of some unnecessary adult content (still in the realm of pg-13 ratings), season two was brilliantly done. I loved the plots, the energy coming from the actors--especially Benedict Cumberbatch who plays Sherlock--the costumes, the settings, and the chemistry between the two friends, Sherlock and Watson. I also think that Cumberbatch portrays Sherlock with a touch of understated humanity that makes our hearts want him to be happy. But as with most geniuses, Sherlock is misunderstood and feels alone, until Watson comes along, and they share a bond of friendship that is as unreal in appearances as it is real in their hearts. Solving mysteries and working together is just the beginning; forging that friendship is the story of this adaptation. I highly recommend it.
The other obsession I acquired still has to do with movies, this time with French movies. I spent a couple of nights being refreshed by the simplicity of the themes as well as the easy-going acting of the French actors and directors. Elijah and I like to watch foreign films, and my favorite ones are French. I remember watching The Chorus and being fascinated by it. This time I watched some movies with special themes such as having faith in yourself (Queen to Play), learning how to be a friend to others and allow you selfishness fade away (My Best Friend), believing in love by overcoming your own weaknesses (Jet Lag), being honest with yourself and others (The Valet), appreciating others even when they are different (The Dinner Game). I'll keep you posted when I find some more, and if you have some that have impressed you, let me know. Everyone loves a good movie.
Beside reading books and watching movies, I've enjoyed having lunches with friends, going on dates with Elijah, attending the temple, participating in our Relief Society activities, visiting the library, taking Charlton to story hour, driving the kids to their after-school programs, going on field trips with my kids, doing a whole lot of laundry, cleaning, cooking, and the usual. One activity in particular that I enjoyed tremendously comes to mind: Book club. My friend who was presenting Wednesday Wars assigned us each a part in Julius Caesar Act III, and everyone of us took our role very seriously, dramatized the way we felt it, and had a bunch of fun in the process. I was providently given the part of Mark Antony, truthfully my favorite part in Julius Caesar. We also discussed our favorite teachers, poignant moments in our lives, love stories, and many more. It was an unforgettable evening accompanied by delicious food and home made cream puffs. What more can one want from life!Every new season, I feel the itch to go and shop for new outfits. It's as if I'm welcoming that new season by dressing appropriately for it. I always enjoy shopping at the stores, although I have to say shopping on-line is very tempting. This time amongst other things, I made myself buy a pair of sweat pants. I've never owned a pair before with the exception of my pregnancy free breathing pants. The reason behind my lack of desire to dress in sweatpants is the fact that I like to dress nicely at all times of the day, and so I buy only clothes that are fancy and nice. Well, staying home during the day these past weeks made me realize that I don't have any comfortable pants I can sit and read in. I have very comfortable pajamas, but I hate wearing them all day long. So the decision was made and I did buy them, although I chose a pair that wasn't just comfortable. They had to be sexy and fancy.
The other day when I got back from finishing some errands, I shockingly noticed a swarm of bees snuggling around each other on a branch in one of the trees near my parking place. I had to park in a different spot since I didn't want them to be disturbed. Elijah mentioned that they weren't our bees; this was a swarm all on its own. I was scared to get close, but not scared enough to not take one picture of this amazing phenomena.
Today we received a package from Elijah's grandmother. She had sent us each our own hat. Knowing how obsessed my children are with hats, this was a perfect gift for them. It is a blessing to have family members who are thoughtful and generous.
What have you been reading lately? What are your favorite movies? How do you feel when it rains?
You may not be on Facebook, but I think you would like Goodreads. I like seeing what my friends are reading.
ReplyDelete