My forever family

My forever family

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"The only way to have a friend is to be one." -Emerson-

Sunday right after church the kids packed our car, dragged me away from my husband's side, and ordered me to drive.  Well, not exactly, but their impatience with my desire to spend some time with Elijah before we left could be translated that way.  The reason: our monthly pilgrimage to our friends, the Wiederholds.  Amy and I had missed seeing each other too much, and we knew the kids would love to be together again, so we marked our calendars for another sleep-over. 

Upon our arrival, the kids disappeared from our sight. They had their routine down: play, scream, run crazy, eat fast, play some more, watch a movie, scream, run crazy, have some dessert, run around some more, brush teeth, say prayers, tell stories, talk till the early hours of the morning, and then maybe sleep.  Our routine wasn't that complicated; we just talked and shared all we felt.  That's what good friends do, with love and without judging. 

The next morning, after breakfast, the kids went outside in the backyard and enjoyed a bright sunny day.  Amy and I enjoyed our breakfast without interruption.  After every corner of the backyard had been explored, we took the kids to a lake nearby where we all loved the sunshine, fresh air, and the beauty around.  The older children climbed trees, Charlton and Joshua threw rocks in the lake, and Amy and I shared more of our lives' dilemmas and joy.  We shared ideas on what makes a marriage stronger, how can we improve our family relationships, what constitutes motherhood, what was our favorite music, show, movie at the moment, how can we be better friends, what was our mission in life, what plans did we have for our future, and many more that I can't think at the moment.  When you have a friend who loves and appreciates you and doesn't allow judgement to get on the way of friendship, you would be amazed at how much you can talk and share from your heart.  By the look of it, the kids were doing the same.  We could hear them talk about books, movies, friends at school, activities they were participating in, hobbies they were enjoying at the moment, and through out all of this I could feel their love for each other.  It made me want to move to Sacramento!

1 comment:

  1. It warmed my heart to read this post and I just want to tell both you and Amy that I miss you both very much and think of you often! So awesome to have such great friends!

    ReplyDelete