Charlton and I started the month of April with a very fun activity. As I was laying down one morning, he brought me a book about Monet to read to him. Upon finishing it, we started talking about art and the beautiful paintings of Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Matisse, etc. We looked at a couple of other books with paintings by the Impressionists. I told him that I had seen several of these paintings in Paris as well as in Washington D.C. I then proceeded to tell him that even Legion of Honor museum in San Francisco carries a few of the Impressionist's paintings, including Monet's. At that Charlton jumped in and said: "Well, let's go and see them now!" Of course, feeling nauseous and all, I just wanted to lay down and sleep, while he colored his Monet project, but when my sweet boy expresses such a fervent desire to go and see a real Monet painting, my heart couldn't say no. When we got there, we were greeted by another fun coincidence - the new up-and-coming exhibit was all about the Impressionists! We had a great time, Charlton and I, commenting on each painting and surprising the visitors around us with our conversations. After a while I lost my energy, so Charlton and I sat down - he coloring, and I reading about these great artists. Of course, Charlton's favorite part was when we got to see a huge painting of Monet, and he just sat down and started drawing it. I think Monet would have loved to converse with this little fellow without any pretensions, only his pure young mind. The book I read to Charlton about Monet told the story of Monet's paintings, his beautiful ponds, Japanese bridges he had built in his gardens, and his amazing studio and home in Giverny. We promised each other that when Charlton grows a little bit older we'll make the journey to Paris, and visit the great artist's inspirational gardens.
When we were done at the museum, Charlton and I spend some time by the ocean, and the salty, iodine smell of the water captured my heart, healed my body for a few moments, and brought back memories of the delicious perfume of waves splashing on the shores of the Adriatic Sea.
After this experience, you can only imagine what was the art theme I chose for my older kids' project - Impressionists, of course. For April, I had an hour introduction to the art of Impressionism, and then for the next hour I had them work on Van Gogh's stunning and dreamy Starry Night, with its small and interrupted brushstrokes and vibrant colors. The kids had a hard time capturing the brushstrokes, but in the end I feel they really savored this project.
During the first weekend of April, we were delighted to listen to General Conference. The kids paid attention, and although I didn't feel well physically at all, I was able to feel the Spirit, and be touched by the many wise counsel given by many men and women of God. I'm grateful to have this privilege to listen to the word of God spoken by God's representatives on earth.
Charlton started swimming this month. It was a busy time. He swam four days a week till mid May. This made my life so hectic and complicated when you consider that his swimming time was near my older kids' school pick up as well as their after school activities. Good thing I have friends around who helped. This swim class was important, however, since Charlton was the only one from my kids who didn't know how to swim well yet. He did a great job, and although I don't think he's quite ready to swim in the deep end without help, he thinks he can! Scary, but encouraging.
The weather in April was absolutely brilliant, with great temperatures, beautiful sunshine, and warm evening breezes. We did have a few hot days, but other than those, we enjoyed this California paradise. I took the kids to the park many times, ate ice-cream, breathed the fragrant smell of the roses found everywhere, laid down on the lawn, and just relished our time together in this beautiful weather.
Charlton's preschool teacher took a week off in April to see her daughter having a new baby, so all of my friends and I, who have our kiddos in her preschool, but on different days, decided to take advantage of the break and reunite all of these sweet little people by taking them on a field trip. Charlton had been dying to revisit Fairyland, which is so appropriate for this age with its fairy tale puppet shows, nursery rhymes attractions, friendly rides, and Charlton's favorite - Jack and Jill hill. The kids had a blast, and us moms were able to reconnect with each other, of course in between catching our little ones looking for new attractions.
Let me close this very long post by expressing my overwhelming gratitude I feel in my full heart for my kids. As I go through some of the experiences of these past few months and as I try to recapture in words feelings and moments that are only able to be captured fully through an infinite perspective, my cup runneth over. And then amongst all of the blessings that are remembered always more than any physical or emotional trial, I wake up one morning to the sight of this beautiful poem written by my daughter. I couldn't stop crying when I read it, and I every time I read it my cheeks get wet from a feeling that is not from this earth, but comes from a very special place called heaven, a place where Heavenly Father held us close. What a blessing to share with God that divine calling of parenthood, to hold close a few of His chosen spirits, my beautiful children, and feel some of the love He felt for us when He held us close!
(If you can't see the words of the poem well, just click on the picture, and it will open bigger on a new window.)




















No comments:
Post a Comment