Tuesday evening Gillian and Jefferson had Open House at their school. The children wanted their dad to come too, so we waited for Elijah to get back from work, and then headed to the school. We started with Jefferson, since he was way too excited and impatient to show us his work and projects. I was impressed with Jefferson's work and the knowledge he has gathered in such a short time. My favorite thing about Jefferson's work was his art and the individuality he showed in each of them. Most art projects were very similar, but Jefferson's always had something unique added to it. I've mentioned the cherry tree with its squirrel added to it. We also saw a drawing of a chameleon. Each student had drawn their own version of the chameleon with their own choice of colors and dimensions. However, each student had drawn just that, a chameleon. Not Jefferson. He had made his chameleon in action, with its tongue out catching a fly. He sure has an amazing imagination. I hope it never leaves him.
When we arrived at Gillian's classroom, she took her father's hand and showed him all of her work. She was very proud and thrilled to have us there, especially to have her father. Gillian's work was full of imagination as well. I guess all those books that they read enrich their minds in many ways, and that is manifested in all of their everyday activities, including their school work. Gillian also had a lot to say when it came to science projects. She had filled pages after pages with her observations about different kinds of projects. One of the projects had to do with the butterfly cycle and their teacher had brought butterflies in their classroom since they were caterpillars. The students had observed the cycle and kept notes on each of the stages. When the butterflies had come out of their chrysalises, Gillian told me she had named the butterflies so she could observe more accurately without mistaking them. I also got to talk to her teacher, whom I absolutely love. She is so perfect for Gillian and they get along very well. Her teacher is demanding, but kind, and has helped Gillian work hard to achieve her potential. She told me that she was very proud of Gillian. She said that Gillian was not only a star student when it came to academics, but she was a star student in behaviour as well. The teacher pointed out that to be bright and polite is a rare combination, and that she was very proud of her. My heart was bursting with joy. I love my Gillian; she is my example of a Christlike behavior. Speaking of Gillian, when I picked her up today, I was doing my singing stunt, again. She was waiting with the other students on the curb, and she could see me in my car on the other side of the road. When I saw her, I started to dance and do funny moves in the car just so she could laugh while waiting for my car to reach her. To my astonishment, she started to dance as well. I loved it. She wasn't embarrassed that her mom was being silly in the car, but further more she joined me as well. I don't know how long this phase of "I don't care what others think, I love my mom" will last, but while I have it I'm enjoying it. When she got in the car, we kept performing to our hearts' desire, although there was a moment when she said that I'd better leave the singing to her, and that I should just focus on my dancing. And that's what I did.
Tonight, when Elijah got home, I was honestly feeling run down. I hadn't been feeling well these couple of days, but when you're a mother, you can't let things like sickness prevent you from fulfilling your duties as a mother. That is not to say that I wasn't loosing my patient with Gillian's math, or Jefferson's reading, or Charlton's demands, or even James' desire to have my attention. To top that, I was trying to figure out what to cook for dinner so I could please everyone, and have it ready before Elijah went to the temple. Wednesday is his temple attendance day, and I try to have dinner ready right away, so he can have some time with the kids before he goes to the temple. Tonight wasn't working well. I had a headache, a sore throat, and I just wanted to curl up in a warm bed with a good book. Ah, the luxuries of a mother! Well, needless to say I couldn't do that for reasons mentioned above. Well, when Elijah got home and greeted each and everyone of us, he kind of sensed that I wasn't doing well. Right there and then he decided he would go to the temple tomorrow. This isn't usual for Elijah. He rarely changes his plans. First, because he is very busy and needs to plan ahead, and secondly, because of his personality. He is a planner by nature, and not a spontaneous guy. Thirdly, when it comes to the gospel, he never compromises, even in just changing a date. The way he sees it is that he has given his word to the Lord, and would never change it. I told him he shouldn't change his plans and that he should go. I honestly wanted him to stay and take care of things for me, but as mothers and wives we try sometimes to be heroines just because. I was grateful to hear Elijah say that he would take care of the dinner, play with the boys some card games, and then do some math exercises with Gillian, while I read to the boys. And that's what we did. Later on, we watched a couple of episodes of "Burn Notice" on the computer for relaxation. After that, while I was reading a book in my warm bed, he did the dishes that I hadn't done all day. I know Elijah had a lot of other things that he needed to do, but I'm grateful that he followed the spirit to stay home tonight and take care of me instead. I really needed it, and there is absolutely no shame in admitting that you need help once in a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment