The first day of my kids' week off from school was spent in perfect harmony and stress free. I had thought to take them to a museum or downtown San Francisco, but then I remembered that I wanted this week to be simple and have fun by just being together. So, Amy and I joined forces and planned a simple day for our kids. And what a beautiful day it turned out to be!
First, we took the kids to eat out at a pizza parlor. Eating out is way more enjoyable now that my kids are older. Fortunately, Charlton loves being around them and doing what they do. It also helps when you go with friends. James told Zoe that she truly was his best friend. I would have loved it if a boy (especially as handsome and sweet as James) had told me that when I was young. I'm sure Zoe was happy about that, too.




After lunch, we drove to a nearby park, which was amazingly beautiful with fall colors painted in every tree. We left the older children playing in the playground and took Zoe and Charlton to the nearby football field. Zoe had a soccer class, coached by one of the young women in our ward as a service project. She was joined by other 5 year old girls and boys, and it was so fun seeing them play soccer. Charlton was having the time of his life playing soccer by himself. Afterward, all of the older kids joined the younger kids and all of us moms played against them. I don't have any pictures of that game, since I was actively engaged into trying to win against my kids. Earlier my friends commented on Jefferson's competitive nature as we noticed Jefferson telling Gillian and Caleb that the little ones had to win fair and square and he wasn't going to let them win as Gillian and Caleb were suggesting. Well, I'm sure after they saw me push my kids so I could achieve a goal, they don't wonder any more where he gets it.


Before the Wiederhold kids left, I had all of the kids pose for me to take some pictures. I couldn't let this amazing view escape my camera hungry soul. Don't you think these turned out beautifully? I love Fall!




After Elijah saw these pictures, he wondered where Charlton was. Charlton wasn't very interested in leaves and pictures, especially not when he found a car he could drive and play in. When I went to check on him, he was playing with the steering wheel and singing "The Wheels on the bus" cheerfully. I couldn't stop laughing.

After our friends left, my older kids joined Charlton at the playground. They were all fighting with each other over who was going to play with Charlton. Charlton loved the attention and kept playing with his steering wheel till his siblings figured things out.



After Charlton had driven the cars and motorcycles many times over, it was time for us to leave. On our way to the car, the children saw a tennis court and challenged me to a running race. Now, I know I'm not in a great physical shape, but to be beaten by all of my three older kids was humiliating. Gym here I come! Jefferson tried to make me feel better by telling me that their cross-country running practices had helped them be that fast. Whatever it was, I am glad they love to run and be active. I need to follow their example. Just blame those stacks of books I have waiting for me at home for not doing so before.



Speaking of books, as soon as we left the park, we paid our almost daily visit to our favorite shrine, the library. The kids all spread out to different directions, and I was left in peace to leaf through the books for sale. I lucked out. I found over thirty brand new children's books and a couple for myself (each 50 cents). When I was finished with that, I went in search of my kids. I knew where to find them, and I wasn't disappointed. They each had gotten their stack and were reading quietly, with Charlton playing with puzzles. Ah, the joy of having well behaved kids!

When we got home we found Elijah waiting for us. After spending some time with their dad, the kids sat and read their books. We ate dinner, and then got ready for Family Home Evening. Gillian had the lesson and she did a great job teaching about the Word of Wisdom and using as an activity a visual they had worked in her Activity Days.

When the kids said their prayers tonight, they each thanked Heavenly Father for a great day spent with friends and family. I'm so happy they had a good day.

As for myself, being with my family brings me true joy. That, and finding some time to read, write, and take beautiful fall pictures. I'm truly grateful for my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment