My forever family

My forever family

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My November Reading List

1. An assembly such as this by Pamela Aiden
2. Duty and Desire by Pamela Aiden
3. These Three Remain by Pamela Aiden

This beautifully written trilogy tells the story of the Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's perspective. I have read many fan fiction on the Pride and Prejudice story, but this has been my favorite so far for many reasons. The author writes well in a believable Victorian style. The characters are very interesting and well developed. Mr. Darcy's actions and personality are gently and thoroughly discussed and developed. The story line is based faithfully on Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice, but the author was clever enough to develop other original story lines as well as awesome characters, my favorite being the Shakespeare quoting valet. I truly enjoyed reading them all, and was very sad to say goodbye to those special characters. There are enough loose ends though in the book with some of the characters that I'm hoping will encourage the author to write some more. I highly recommend this trilogy for any true Darcy admirers.

4. The Sixteen Pleasures by Robert Hellenga
I just found this book at the library and was initially warned off by its title. But as I kept reading the first pages of the book, I thought it very interesting. The book is a coming of age novel dealing with various topics of life through the eyes of the main character, Margot Harrington. She is a young American who has come to Florence to help out save the old manuscripts and art destroyed by the Arno river in 1966. Through her eyes and her experiences we see Florence of that time which had been flooded by the river, and the many attempts by young men and women from all over the world to save Florence's treasures. We can taste the many delicious Italian dishes and enjoy the Italian countryside as well as feel at home at the various piazzas and fresh markets found in most cities and towns in Italy. I enjoyed learning how manuscripts were bound, what makes women become nuns and how do they live in those convents, how do you save a fresco from getting destroyed, how do you restore a painting, what goes on in various auctions, and many more interesting experiences, and all the while seeing how the main character is changing and learning about herself and her life and family. I wished he had called his book "mud angels" as I learned these young people who came to help were called. She didn't save just the Italian treasures from the mud of the river, but she also helped herself out of the confusion of her life. A good novel if you are interested in art and Italian life style.

5. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
This was a book that made me think about life, people, our relationships with others, and love and happiness. It was well written and consisted of several chapters that had only one character in common. That, and that they all lived in the same small town where things don't seem to change or move in any direction. However, through the eyes of each character and their experiences you feel as you are seeing the small details of life unfolded in this microcosm of reality. The main character, Olive Kitteridge, isn't one of those women that are likable and kind. She is caught up in her life, anger and selfishness, that she forgets to understand what life is about, until she notices, some bits here and a few bits there, what she has missed and how she isn't the only one to suffer or have individual problems. I personally don't go for these kinds of books. I like my books with strong characters that inspire me to be better. Yes, the book did make me think and encourage me to think of others. But I felt the book brought me down a bit as well. It wasn't a happy story, and I like happy stories. Other than that, it had great characters and thoughtful insight into the mystery we call life.

6. His Excellency, George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis
I have never been a George Washington fan, partly because he was portrayed as a Saint in all the books I've read. My interest in him increased when I actually read some well researched and honestly written books by David McCullough, namely 1776 and John Adams. Ellis book is well researched as well, and feels intimate at the same time. I have to say I really enjoyed learning about George Washington, his hard life as a child and youngster, his pursuits for excellence, his love life, his military insights, and his integrity. What I enjoyed even more was his outlook in life. George Washington believed that destiny (I call it God, some call it fate, luck, etc) is initially in charge of our lives. What you make of the hand dealt to you is all up to you. In other words, we are not in charge of our destiny, but in charge of what we do with our destiny. And what that translates into real life is called character. We are in charge of what we as individuals make of ourselves in the face of life's trials. A very good biography and insight into the life of this self -made man, and an excellent description of his destiny as our first president.

7. None, but you by Susan Kaye
8. For you alone by Susan Kaye
Jane Austen wrote six perfect novels about true love and what it means to be true to oneself. I really like all of her novels for various reasons. However, one of her novels feels closer to life than the others. Persuasion feels more mature and although it doesn't lack in wit compared to the others, it does seem to be more concentrated on character's inner struggle and their attempt to grow stronger. I truly enjoy the unbendable love between the two characters, Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth. It's strong, pure, and deep. We know and see Captain Wentworth only through the eyes of Anne. Well, Susan Kaye has written her version of what Captain Wentworth thought and felt as she follows Jane Austen's story line. I was absolutely enchanted at how well the author presented Wentworth's point of view. A beautifully written plot, a perfect length with not much repetition, and a more-in-depth look at the other characters' development, made this book very enjoyable for me.


9. Crossed by Ally Condie
The sequel of Matched has finally arrived and I am very excited to read it. I'm not finished with it, but so far I like the plot and the characters. The writing, however, seemed to have been rushed since it's sounding a bit too simple and boring at times. Nevertheless, I'm excited to read what the author has in store for us in regards to the characters. I really enjoyed Xander in the first book, and although Ky is a very sweet boy and very thoughtful, I have to say I'm Team Xander. In the Hunger Games I did like Pita, because of his sweetness, quiet nature, and love for Katnis. In this book, I'm going with Xander, who is the opposite of Pita, but very fun to read about. I love that he uses his mind to get around the rules that the government has imposed on the society without raising any red flags. I like Ky, but Xander seem to be more refined and just plain more handsome and exciting character. A fun read between classics.

What are some of your favorites for November?

No comments:

Post a Comment