It was early autumn of 1967, and two bohemian looking individuals stroll the Washington Square Park carelessly. A touristy couple argue amongst each other. The lady wants to take a picture of this young couple because they look to her as if they were truly living an artistic life. The husband dismissively says:"They're just kids." And so starts the book that describes the young life of the poet, song writer and musician Patti Smith and her relationship with the talented artist, Robert Mapplethorpe. I knew very little about this couple and their artistic achievements, but I was surprised to realize that after reading the book, I was mesmerized by Patti's words of an era that as much as it was hazy it was artistically successful as well. A very good read, and I would highly recommend to any one who loves the music of the 60's or art and photography of that era.
2. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - Nonfiction
The author embarked through a year of finding true happiness, and recorded her efforts and success in her book. She made monthly resolutions with specific tasks that would help her achieve them, and then just did it. She would add the next month's resolution to her previous months, and then tried to keep going from there. Her goals in achieving true happiness sound familiar, such as work on yourself, improve your marriage, be a better parent, try to be a true friend, get a new hobby, etc. However familiar these ideas are, the way she went about in achieving them was well researched, organized and very inspiring. I loved her thoughts on the importance of being honest with ourselves in knowing who we are and what we truly enjoy, as well as understanding the reality that we find ourselves as we try to achieve our goals. It was important for her to work on her happiness where she was at her home, without having to find happiness by making major trips through out the world or drastic changes in the existent life. I enjoyed her quotes on a myriad of thoughts and ideas. Her clear and precise writing made it easy to feel her honesty and follow her in the quest for happiness. Although I don't usually read self-help books, this was so much more than that. It was fun to read, filled with personal stories, and honest evaluations on what worked and what didn't.
3. Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer - Regency Romance
Another Georgette Heyer fun and romantic story of two very independent people falling in love and after resisting the calling of love, give in with all their heart and wit. Although Georgette Heyer's plots are a bit predictable, I love the strong characters she produces, as well as the amazing wit she uses throughout the book. Georgetter Heyer is truly a Lady of Quality herself. A must read for all Jane Austen fans.
4. The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradly - Mystery
I'm hypnotized by this author's talent of writing beautiful prose, fascinating detective work, and unique characters. This is the second Flavia de Luce mystery in a series of four so far, so prepare yourself for more reviews of his books. This story involves a puppeteer, a mad woman, love affairs, a long time ago unsolved death, and of course, yours truly, the Sherlock Holmes incarnated in our 11 year old Flavia de Luce, who not always has amazing observation and deductive skills, but also a love for chemistry and an uncanny knowledge of poison. Here are some excerpts from this book:
In sharing her feelings about Bethoveen, Flavia expresses her feelings this way: "Although he was a very great musician, and a wizard composer of symphonies, Beethoven was quite often a dismal failure when it came to ending them. The Fifth was a perfect case in point. I remembered that the end of the thing, the allegro, was one of those times when Beethoven just couldn't find the 'off' switch....You'd go to get up and stretch, sighing with satisfaction at the great work you'd just listened to, and suddenly: DAH dum. DAH dum. DAH dum. And so forth. DAH dum. It was like a bit of flypaper stuck to your finger that you couldn't shake off. The bloody thing clung to life like a limpet."
In another occasion, when Flavia just witnessed a death that might possibly be a murder, she describes what she sees this way: "The eyes: The pupils were hugely dilated, so much so that if I had been able to get a bit closer, I was quite sure I should have been able to see myself reflected in their convex surfaces as clearly as Jan van Eyck was reflected in the bedroom mirror in his painting of the Arnolfinis' wedding day."
Needless to say, I highly recommend this book. Whether you like mysteries or not, this is a beautiful written story full of eccentric characters.
5. Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman - Fiction based on a true story
I had never heard of this book till one of my friends suggested it for a book club choice. My only expectations were created as I read the back of the book describing this story as one of the most tenderest and romantic love story ever written. The book was written in in the early 1930's and was based on the true story of Katherine Mary Flannigan, our heroine, as told by her to the authors. The story follows 16 year old Katherine from Boston who is sent by her mother to visit her uncle in the Northern Territories of Calgary. At that time, there was very little civilization occupying the area, and the best means of transportation from my post to another was by sled. Katherine falls in love and marries Mike Flannigan, and together they live the harsh realities of life in the snowy banks of Canada. The book impressed me with its profound wisdom. This wasn't just any love story. It was a story about living life, learning to appreciate what life brings to you, and growing through trials and becoming stronger. I was pleasantly surprised with its depth and how much it touched me. I highly recommend it.
6. The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson - Autobiography
Bill Bryson cracks me up again. This time, instead of taking us on a tour of his house, he takes us through his childhood in the Midwest. Every page is filled with unnecessary bits of knowledge that make the book for me so much more interesting. The broad range of topics he touched in the book astonishes me. Born in the 50's he describes that period with such wit and knowledge that I feel like I'm there by his side going through the same kind of experiences. I've truly enjoyed learning about the beginnings of technology, successes in sports and business, and many more facts and stories that describe that decade in full. A very funny, witty, and educational book.
You seriously inspire me! I am totally convinced there isn't anything you don't do. :)
ReplyDelete