My forever family

My forever family

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Arts and Letters, and Relaxation

Gillian has been writing up a storm this past week. It started with her jotting down some notes on the fun times she used to have with her brothers when they were young, and it went from there with her adding amazing imaginative story lines. She has written quite a lot, a story or two a day. Elijah and I were astonished to read her beautifully written thoughts, and I thought I would share with you just a little excerpt. We both think if she keeps this talent developing each day, she will end up for sure publishing books really early.



On Friday, Jefferson received an academic award, and he was very excited. Jefferson gets excited about any kind of awards, and he takes them very seriously. (I can make him do anything as long as I introduce the idea of working for a prize or award.) He told me he would love it if Charlton and I made an appearance at the award ceremony. So, we did, and Charlton sat with him the whole time.



Saturday was spent cleaning, setting up our new treadmill, and doing laundry. In the afternoon, I attended a Chinese New Year party that a few friends threw to celebrate new babies born this past few months in our ward. Those ladies had done an excellent job in decorating, cooking the food, and preparing fun games. That was a sweet thing to do for those new mothers. After that, we ate dinner with the kids, and then Elijah and I went on a double date with some friends. We went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie, and afterward spent some time chatting and eating some tasty food.

I have to say going on dates with my husband and other couples has a much better appeal now than when we were younger and single. Besides the obvious reason of not being stressed about my date liking me or not, I also like it that we are more mature and know our minds. Elijah doesn’t talk as much as I do, but when he speaks I enjoy it tremendously because his opinions are not just made up right there and then, as some of mine are, but he has thought them through and is precise when he shares them. I would give anything to be an introvert, someone who doesn’t talk often but when he talks people listen. Nevertheless, I’m grateful for my personality.



Monday was off for my kids, so we slept in, took time in eating our breakfast, read books, and watched a movie. We, then, spent some time with friends at the playground.



The kids also attended their art class, and although I really liked Jefferson’s and Gillian’s work, it was James who requested I show his work on our blog.



Today was gray outside, and it affected me a little bit. I didn’t feel like doing anything except relax and be with my children, possibly not actively engaged. When I get this way, I get even more upset with myself, because feeling lazy is one thing I don’t appreciate. To make matters worse, the boys were complaining about me not wanting to play board games with them. Kids always expect perfection from imperfect people. I did redeem myself in their eyes later in the evening when I read to them for two hours.

Speaking of books and reading to kids, I found this really educational and beautifully illustrated art book for children. It’s very well organized according to art period, artists’ lives, and different kinds of media.

The book offered hands-on projects on how to achieve various techniques. I’ve used this book with each of my kids. With Charlton and James, I would usually look at the pictures and ask questions about them. With Gillian and Jefferson, I would ask them to copy one or two techniques or pictures that they liked. As for me, I would look at it for relaxation when I had a free minute or two.

How was your week-end?

No comments:

Post a Comment