My forever family

My forever family

Saturday, May 12, 2012

What I read in April through the wee hours of the morning.

1. Return to Virtue by Wendy Shalit
This was an interesting book discussing what virtue means and how a return to it can change the immoral route our society is taking. Although a bit naive and innocent, due to her inexperienced upbringing, I enjoyed Ms. Shalit's views on virtue. Furthermore, I liked the fact that finally we have a few voices in the mainstream media speaking in defense of morality, integrity, good manners, romantic love, modest dress and behavior--in essence, virtuous living. I didn't like the fact that the author spent so much time on modest clothing as a return to virtue. I agree with the fact that how we dress portrays who we are and how we see ourselves, but modesty to me is much more than clothing--it's a way of living and thinking. Despite its shortcomings, this book makes the reader think about issues such as sex education in our school system, coed dorms, and the truth behind the so-called feminist revolution, that insisted on equality between men and women. I personally never understood the idea that just because we want to be treated equally, women should be the same as men, should feel the same, act the same, think the same. I believe I can be anything and do anything, but I'm still different as a woman, and that to me is good, it's a positive thing. Men and women compliment each other by being different. The author argues that by insisting that we are the same, we have lost our femininity, a quality not to be ashamed of. By treating women as if they were men, the society has lost its balance, and the result is sexual promiscuity, casual relationships, loss of romantic love and chivalrous manners, and a respect for our own self. A very good book to read, discuss and ponder. We read and discussed it for our book club, and even after four hours of discussion, our group hadn't been able to agree on a conclusion.

2. Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
This was a sweet little book that had a lot going for itself. Although at times predictable, cliche, and slow, the subject matter was very interesting. The historical background is set right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and deals with social issues of the time such as the mistrust of the Japanese and their subsequent encampment, and the way society reacted to those changes. In the center of the story is Henry Lee, a Chinese-American who is forced by his father to attend an American school, where he encounters a lot of prejudice. He hates it there, till a Japanese-American joins him and life is better...until Keiko's family is sent to the internment camp. Set in Seattle with the Jazz musical venues as a backdrop, and analyzing the matters of the heart between friend, between fathers and sons, between regrets and forgiveness, Jamie Ford has written a bitter and sweet story that appeals to all ages and nationalities.

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
This was a very original idea, and I should say very apt for the time we live in. Ernest Clive has comprised a story of fabulous cultural references, fun movie one-liners, that I, not growing up in America, could get. A story set in a near future where everything is bleak and individuals, young and old, try to escape in a virtual reality called Oassis. I didn't like the author's ramblings on environmentalism, but I understand he needed to find a reason to explain our earth's decline. Environmentalism being en vogue served well. However, the book isn't about that. I've yet to enjoy it fully since I didn't get to finish it, but the premise sounds fascinating, and I have it in Elijah's good authority that it is really good. I'm still waiting for the library to get it for me so I could finish it.

4. She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell
I found this book at the library, and started reading it without knowing anything about the author. The story is set during the Gilded Age in America, when the Americans were making money and a name for themselves in the world. The book tells the story of the young Clara who against her desires and ambitions is forced by her family's expectations to restore her family's honor and fortune by marrying the catch of the season, Franklin de Vries. As the story unfolds, we encounter several other characters who are as interesting and complex as Clara, and who, each in their own way, try to survive and succeed in a society full of intrigues and deceit. I love historical fiction, and this one satisfied me well since it was set during an interesting time of the American history, that of the Victorian period. I loved the history, the plot, the characters, as well as the theme of what real beauty is, one that shows our inner self.

5. Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsly
This was as good as the first book I read by the same author, the Winter Sea. I might even say I liked the story and the characters better in this one. Set again in beautiful Cornish coast, the sweeping love story intertwined with paranormal effects take your breath away with great characters and romantic nostalgia. And when the strong Daniel tenderly says to Eva: "Whatever time we have, it will be time enough," one can't help but stay up all night to finish it. If you read it, I promise you that staying up all night and feeling very tired in the morning when you have to take care of your kids or go to work, will be worth it. This is a great romantic story, part time- travel fiction, and part historical fiction. Whatever genre you like, this will not disappoint.

6. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) by Rick Riordan
The third installment of Percy Jackson's books, where Percy is set to help find Goddess Artemis that has been captured as well as the creature that can turn the tables for the Olympian gods. Filled with action and suspense, Rick Riordan brings excitement in the children's literature. Our whole family is loving his books - Gillian has already read them all twice or three times over, Jefferson and myself are still racing against each other, and I've just started reading them to James. And as for Charlton, he is enjoying all of the Greek stories on mythological characters described in Percy Jackson. A fun series to enjoy as a family.

7. Great Lives - American Literature by Doris and Harold Faber
I saw this displayed at the library, and I thought Gillian and I could read them individually and then discuss them. A great collection of the lives of outstanding American writers, well written, and warmly described, this book was an easy way to learn and discuss life decisions that make us who we are. Since Gillian loves to write, this book was also a way for us to talk about the value of work, the impact of self confidence, and the amazing influence experiences have on writing. The lives of these thirty geniuses of the English language also brought them close to us. Gillian and I were able to share with each other who are favorite writers are and a bit about their lives, and how that life was portrayed in their work. A great introduction of the incredible writers this country produced.

Which books made you stay up late?

No comments:

Post a Comment