My forever family

My forever family

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer has officially started! - Summary of the week of June 18-23 (Thursday)

Thursday was a day full of activities, hard work and frustrations. Happily everything ended well. We did school, some chores, plenty of dirty dishes for lunch, voice lesson for Gillian, big project spread out on the floor, and on top of that we had a late start because we woke up late. It wouldn't be that bad if I didn't have to take Gillian to a stake activity for girls 8-12, and then host dinner for one of the book clubs I attend. The Primary President, who is my friend, had asked me if I could accompany Gillian to the activity and stay there to help out. I didn't think that considering the state of my home and the lack of time that I was the right person to help out; I was too distracted. But I went anyways, and I was glad I did. They had really good presentations with several activities and service projects. The presentations were centered around the importance of reading scriptures, saying our prayers, writing in our journals, and learning the articles of faith. The girls really had a good time, and Gillian came out with a renewed love for the gospel. It is a blessing to live in an area where my children can have friends with the same standards.

When I got home, I realized I had just under two hours to cook for 10 -15 women and get my house into a presentable state. I had to involve my family. I asked Elijah to make the dessert; his chocolate-chip cookies are fit for a king. I had the boys stuff my project that was spread all over the floor into boxes. Gillian helped with Charlton and tidying up. I made a green salad, then washed fruit and put it in bowls, prepared roast beef grilled sandwiches and let them cook in the oven, and then attacked the kitchen while Elijah vacuumed the house. I was ready not a minute too early. Thanks to my family I could enjoy my friends and my time. Here is the recipe for those delicious but quick sandwiches:

Grilled Roast Beef Sandwiches Recipe

Grilled Roast Beef Sandwiches Recipe Grilled Roast Beef Sandwiches Recipe Rating 5

Ingredients

  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 medium green pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 slices sourdough bread 9I use rolls as well)
  • 16 slices Colby-Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese, divided (I use provolone only)
  • 8 slices deli roast beef
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • Garlic salt, optional

Directions

  • In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender; sprinkle with salt and pepper. On four slices of bread, layer two slices of cheese, two slices of beef and a fourth of the vegetable mixture. Top with the remaining cheese and bread.
  • Butter outside of bread; sprinkle with garlic salt if desired. On a hot griddle or large skillet, toast sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. I cook mine in the oven in 400 for 10 to 15 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment