We started our Christmas celebrations attending the Nutcracker ballet. This year it was Charlton's turn. The Lesher Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek offered the perfect combination of beautiful costumes, talented dancers, and one-hour long performance. This was just right for Charlton, and although I thought he was a bit young for a ballet, he loved it. He kept asking me throughout the performance the whereabouts of the toy nutcracker. He didn't like it that the spell was broken and the nutcracker had turned into a handsome prince. He wanted the nutcracker to remain a toy - quite appropriate for a little boy's wish.
That same Friday, after dinner, we took the kids to pick our
Christmas tree. We normally get the tree
right after Thanksgiving, but this year Thanksgiving was a bit earlier than
past years, so we waited till we said goodbye to November. And as our tradition goes, while Elijah trims
the tree and puts the lights on, I decorate the house, and the children paint
some kind of Christmas craft that I’ve selected for that year. I try to choose something that isn’t too hard
for them, but at the same time it’s special enough that it will bring good
memories when they grow older. I have
them write their name and year on the bottom of each of their creations. When everybody is done, we all sit and drink
hot chocolate. I guess if we keep going
with this tradition, by the time they leave my house, I will have boxes and
boxes full of their fun Christmas art, in addition to everything else. I don’t mind really, because I know this is
one of their favorite Christmas traditions that makes them really happy, and
our childhood memories are what we will carry with us for the rest of our
lives, and will influence us in how we see the world.
This is what I did while the kids painted and Elijah encircled the tree with lights:
When Elijah finishes putting the lights on the tree, we decorate it. I usually let the kids put the decorations on, and then when they go to bed, I rearrange them to my liking. This year, however, I kept the tree how it was done by the kids' hands. For one thing, they are growing up and can take instructions better. James still needed some direction, but in all, the tree turned out beautiful as always.
We continue our traditions by unwrapping and reading one Christmas book a night. I started this tradition when I was in Virginia. I wrap up all the Christmas books that I own (more than we can read in the whole month of December), and then put them under the Christmas tree or in a basket. Each night the children take turn in unwrapping and sitting by me while I read it to them. Jefferson started the reading marathon this year with the book The Story of Holly and Ivy, a long, but interesting book about the magic of Christmas and the power of love.
In the end, we close our evening by having the child, whose turn is that year, to put the Star up. After all, that is the true reason of all of this: remembering our Savior, the Star whose light guides our lives. Gillian was excited to take her turn this year, and it was a sort of bittersweet for me to see my daughter not needing as much help from her dad as she used to in reaching the top of the tree. My sweet, beautiful Gillian is growing, and the next time she takes her turn to put the star up, she will be 14. I rather not think about that. For now, I will enjoy every moment I have with my little girl.
I enjoy traditions. I love Christmas. I feel great joy when I'm with my family. When all those three are combined, there is no happiness that equals it in the whole world. Merry Christmas, my friends, and always remember that no matter how big or small your Christmas tree is, it's how much love you have in your heart that is important in this magical season.

No comments:
Post a Comment