My forever family

My forever family

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wow! It's that time of the year!

Gillian has loved participating in choir.  During the Christmas season, their performance schedule is  a bit more busy than during spring time, but this has given Gillian more opportunities to share her talents with others and enjoy singing.  James joined her this year in choir.  He was in a younger level, but he has loved it as much as Gillian does.  Between the two of them, we've been to four performances (with one more coming up this Friday) and two rehearsals for each performance.  I can't wait for next week when there will be no rehearsals and no performances, just us in the family with plenty of time to read and play.  That said, I've loved every performance and every song that my kids have sung.  I've enjoyed the beautiful spiritual music that their director had chosen for this season.  I've truly felt the power of angelic music praising the Lord touch my soul.  That is priceless, and I will take my kids to as many rehearsals as it takes to give them those opportunities.
 
 


James's choir director
James's choir buddy, Adri


Besides singing joyous carols, the older children have enjoyed playing the piano and participating in recitals.  The first recital was amongst their own peers, and the second one was for the parents.  As always, I was a few minutes late getting to their recital, and the teacher had just started to introduce the first students.  And you guessed it, James was first to go.  He didn't have time to sit or even think, but as soon as we got in the room, he went straight to the piano, sat down, and started to play his piece.  And he didn't even make one little mistake!  I was so proud of him.  When he finished, he bowed, and came and sat by his mother, who was angrily chewing herself up for not being able to make it on time to her kids' recitals.  Elijah was kind enough to take Charlton out when he became fidgety, and allowed me to relax as I listen to my sweet children demonstrate their talents. 

Here they are with their teacher, Judy Stover, holding their little trophies for having practiced 1000 minutes this semester.

In between rehearsals, performances, and recitals, we've been able to also serve others and enjoy the season with each other.  The children helped me assemble over 15 packages for teachers, school administrators, widows, and friends around the area.  That has been my favorite thing so far.  I also finished two major on-line projects that I'm very excited about, as well as all my Christmas shopping and cards. Elijah rendered his so-much needed help with various tasks so I could accomplish my goals on time.  I'm grateful for that, and especially for the feeling of partnership that I've felt these past two weeks as we have had to rely on each other a bit more. 

 I also loved accompanying James and his class to a nursing home, where they brought hand made gifts, sang carols, and shared cookies and hot chocolates with the elderly.  James was ever so polite as he shook their hands and asked them about themselves, as if he were a big kid.  His love for his fellow beings whether young or old, healthy or sick is inspiring.  I'm so happy I'm guiding this boy to be a doctor.


We also found time to enjoy each other's company by being together and having fun.
Elijah and the kids watching "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer"


Visiting Santa and being with dad at our ward's Christmas party

Having a special time with Gillian attending "A Christmas Carol" play.  That play inspires me more each and every year. This year what struck my soul most of all were Marley's words to Ebenezer: "Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!'"

I hope that as you find yourself busy with shopping and caroling and serving, you won't forget to take a moment and ponder the joy that this season brings. I'm grateful for God's love for all of us, and for Jesus Christ, His Son, who was the demonstration of that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment