Elijah's family followed us home the next day, on Monday. They had spent some sweet time with their Grandma's family in Eureka, and now they were ready to enjoy some time with the California Garmons. My mother had prepared a delicious dinner for all of us, but I had purposely left out dessert. My plans were to swing by the Golden Gate Bridge right before sunset, and then enjoy some Ghirardelli ice-cream. The beauty of the sunset didn't disappoint us. As for the weather, that was another matter. I felt bad that it was so windy; it was really hard to grasp the magnitude of this landmark. I hope the majestic beauty that the Golden Gate Bridge carries coupled with the soft hues of the sunset was worth the while, even with the wind in our faces.
We left the Golden Gate Bridge, and drove toward another landmark of this area that looks resplendent at night, The Palace of Fine Arts. I've yet to develop my photographic skills to be used at night, but the following were the best I could do. It truly is a beauty with its Greek columns and Roman arches, placed in the middle of a lake with lights showering in every direction, it makes one look in awe. Built for the Panama-Pacific Exhibition to display art, it still stands today at the same spot it was built those many years ago. Although the other exhibition buildings were torn down right after the fair was over, this one had captured the hearts of the people so much that even before the fair was over, a league to preserve it was already formed. I'm so glad they kept; ti makes me happy every time I see it, especially at night.
We finally made our stop at Ghirardelli's, but by then the Georgia Garmons were feeling so cold that their bodies were calling for hot chocolate and not ice-cream, no matter how good it was. The rest of us were looking forward to some caramel , chocolate, strawberry parfait.
And if you happen to be bored while waiting for the ice cream, you can always do what Jefferson does during our field trips, pull out your own portable chess board and play with your sibling.
No comments:
Post a Comment