James turned 8 this year. He had a house full of guests, an awesome party at a trampoline sports park, and very desirable gifts. James is such a sweetheart and never demands attention, that his birthday celebration gave us all the opportunity to give him some well deserved love and consideration. It was so fun seeing him be the center of the party.
What made James's birthday special this year was the fact that he chose to get baptized and become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by taking the name of Jesus Christ upon himself. I can't think of a sweeter boy than James who already personifies Christlike qualities.
1. I love his quiet demeanor. It calms me.
2. I enjoy the comfort he gives me when I'm feeling low.
The other day, when I wasn't feeling well, and I was raising my voice at the kids for not being obedient and helpful, James said to me: "It must be very hard to carry a baby, and have to take care of all of us. I'm sorry we are giving you hard time tonight. I love you; I'll try to be better." That comforted me, and touched me beyond words.
3. James is thoughtful, caring, and loving toward others. If I ever saw an angel, he is one.
4. James tries really hard to understand the gospel and is an amazing example of following the commandments.
5. My heart melts when I see the tenderness he shows to little children.
Charlton has been very outspoken about the arrival of our baby, and for the longest time Gillian kept saying that he is looking like a fierce competition in "the caring for the baby" camp. However, as Gillian has been more attentive to how James shows his kindness and patience with our friends' babies, she had to admit to me that James would be a fiercer competition than she had initially given him credit for. He truly has a tender soul.
6. I'm so grateful for James's hard work. Gillian and Jefferson both use their intelligence and talents to get ahead, but it angers me at times that they don't work harder. They could achieve so much more. James uses intelligence and hard work to accomplish his goals. He has persistence, independence, and responsibility. I have never had to ask James to sit down and do his homework; he's always consistent in his hard work. I know he is going to make a bright future for himself if he continues to implement these qualities.
7. James's mellow personality balances our enthusiastic family. He is so amiable, gracious, and sweet tempered. I rarely hear James complain, nag, or demand. And that is something priceless in a child.
8. There is a quality in children and adults alike that I value tremendously, and that is honesty. It shows maturity, self confidence, responsibility, and respect for yourself and others. It is one of the hardest traits that men can possess. However, it is the first step that guides someone toward Integrity. James works very hard in telling the truth, learning to have confidence in himself and not make things up, and owning up to his mistakes. I trust him, and I appreciate his example.
I feel blessed to be James's mother. He makes me want to be better each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment