My forever family

My forever family

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A day with my boys

This morning I was awaken by Jefferson telling me he was all dressed and ready for our date. It was around 8:00 in the morning, and that didn't make me very happy. Saturdays are my 'sleep in' days. Nevertheless, seeing how excited Jefferson was, I got up, fed all the children breakfast, and then got ready. Since my mother and Elijah were still asleep, I put Gillian in charge of James and Charlton. Jefferson and I headed toward one of the Farmers' Market near our house. It was drizzling a bit, but that didn't prevent us from checking out every single vendor and their produce. We noticed a vendor selling fresh pastries, and it didn't take long for Jefferson and I to purchase a Napoleon and a Cinnamon bun for ourselves. While eating our pastries, we started with our shopping. Jefferson was quite taken by the five-pound Red Bass we bought. He didn't want to carry it though; he just wanted to look at it. However, he did help me carry most of the produce.
We had a good time talking about foods we like and don't like, kinds of foods that are good for you and the other kinds that are just tasty. We made plans for our own garden we wanted to plant this year and made a list of the produce we wanted to grow. Jefferson is such a serious thinker that I really enjoy talking to him. He is very thoughtful and truly thinks about things. I never have a conversation with him in which he hasn't listened carefully and then thought about his answer. Today, he thanked me for taking him out and said that he really enjoyed being with me. I did too.

When we got home, we put the groceries up, wrapped Oliver's birthday present, and then, along with James, drove to the church to celebrate Oliver's birthday. The kids had so much fun riding their bikes and playing with each other that when it was time to go, my boys couldn't believe that much time had past. Gillian stayed home with dad, and helped him with a few errands.

When we got back, the children were ready to watch their Saturday movie. I put Charlton down for a nap, and then took my mother out for some fresh air. Since it was raining, and we had had lunch already, we decided that instead of going to eat out somewhere, we would go shopping, the next best thing. There is nothing more therapeutic than shopping, especially if you are shopping for yourself. We strolled from one store to another enjoying ourselves and wanting to buy anything and everything we set our eyes on. I kept trying to convince my mother to buy a pair of jeans, but of course she said jeans was not the appropriate attire for an European older lady. I'm glad I feel free of conventions and expectations. We had a good time talking and laughing, and trying on dresses and blouses and boots and all sorts of accessories.

Tonight, after we ate dinner, Elijah took me out to the movies. My mom watched the kids, and my husband and I watched "Unknown." There were a bunch of movies out, but nothing looked good and interesting, and most of them were rated R. The "Unknown" sounded interesting from what we watched in the previews. We weren't disappointed; the movie was good and entertaining. It had a good plot, with twists and turns and kept you guessing throughout. Liam Neeson played the main character, and as always he did a fantastic job. Elijah and I had a good time just being together. On the way home, we decided that we would take turns in choosing our date night activity. Till now, Elijah has been the one planning them with me occasionally suggesting ideas. Wanting to have a variety of activities, we decided we should come up with our own ideas of what we consider fun. So, friends, I need a few tips of good restaurants and fun date activities. It's a blessing to have my mother here take care of the children, so Elijah and I could spend some time with each other. Although Elijah and I spend a lot of good time together at home (we make sure our children are asleep by 8 p.m.), I feel it's equally important to spend time out of the house as a couple. It's a good opportunity to talk, to learn and enjoy each other's interests, and simply to be together in a relaxing and fun atmosphere.

What are some fun activities you do with your children? What has been your favorite idea for a date with your spouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment