My forever family

My forever family

Thursday, February 10, 2011

An off day that only sweets can fix

You know you are doing well as a mother, when, while with friends and not accompanied by your children, you:

1. Count out loud along with the walking man on the crossroad signal - 5 4 3 2 1 Blast Off!

2. You are driving with your friend, and you spot a firetruck or dump truck, and you tell your friend "Look, a firetruck!"

3. While driving in the car by yourself, you unconsciously change Elton John's lyrics from 'Rocket man' to 'Rocket math.'

4. As you leave your friends, you throw them a kiss and you tell your friends that you love them.

You know you've lost it and you need a break when you are supposed to pick up your child at 12:40 at your friend's house, and you completely have spaced that pick up out, and are reminded only when your friend calls you at 1:35 while you are shopping leisurely at Costco. Many apologies to Amy for being patient and kind toward me and not calling me a bad mother and friend.

I felt so badly today after this happened. I cried the whole time while driving to pick James up. I couldn't believe I had forgotten about James, and I felt miserable that I did such a thing to Amy, who has just adopted a little 4 month old baby and is trying to find pockets of time to rest and adjust to this new addition to her family. Again, Amy, I hope you can forgive me. I would never in a hundred years take advantage of any of my friends and leave my children for them to take care. I can't believe this happened to me and I still don't understand how I could have slipped. I could blame it only on my fatigue and the busy schedule of dropping off and picking up my children and mom so many times a day. One thing for sure, I needed some rest.

Instead, I went to the Recipe Exchange that my friends and I organize every month. I thought that being with friends and sharing with them what I felt would help. It did, but I still feel very embarrassed and shocked that something like that happened to me.

This month, we were bringing Valentine treats. I really wanted to make my so very yummy sweetheart trifle, but considering the lack of time and energy, I cooked another delicious, but quick dessert, Glazed Mint Brownies. It should like this:

but I didn't have time to wait for the cake to fully cool down, so instead it looked like this:

Either way, this was an easy and absolutely delicious dessert. I'm not a person that likes sweets a lot, nevertheless I had three pieces way before I got to my friend's house. It helped with the sour mood I was all day. I'm sharing the recipe with you in hopes that it will cheer you up as well in days like I had today.

Glazed Mint Brownies

Ingredients

  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

  • FILLING:
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 3 to 4 drops green food coloring, optional

  • GLAZE:
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

  • In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and flour until blended. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
  • Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
  • In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until creamy. Spread over brownies.
  • For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Spread over filling. Refrigerate until filling and glaze are set. Yield: 12-16 brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment