It has been great having her with us these past four months. She has helped with cooking, laundry, and babysitting. She was a good friend to have around when I needed to talk, and she was always willing to listen. Having had her for four months has had its disadvantages as well. I seemed to split my time between my husband, my children, and my mother. Sometimes, she needed more time than the rest of them combined, and that was something that gave me trouble. I also didn't seem to have privacy and quiet time for my thoughts and hobbies. And then, her lack of discipline toward Charlton made me very upset at times. But I didn't have the heart to tell her hands off with my child, because she seemed so attached to him almost as if he were her son. However, all of these concerns appeared small as I observed the love and relationship that was being developed between my children and their grandmother, a connection that knew no language boundaries.
We took some pictures before she left, and then headed off toward the airport. I brought all the kids with me, and we waved goodbye to her as she entered the security area. I'll be seeing her again very soon in a month or so when I visit my brother, but my children won't see her till next April. Jefferson was very adamant about her attending his baptism, and making sure she knew his birthday date. We will all miss her, but I think it was time for me to have my family back.
Today, I have been working on switching Gillian back upstairs. I thought this was a good time for Spring Cleaning as well. All of her furniture, books, clothes, toys, and whatever else was in her room or my mother's was scrutinized in detail, and I felt happy when some was thrown, some was bagged for Good Will, and the rest organized in the neatest system possible. Two more bedrooms to go, as well as a bunch of closets and bookshelves scattered throughout the house.This evening we attended an open house for our older children. Gillian was very excited to show us everything artsy that she had made. I love her imagination and skill. We were able to read a lot of her writings, and since that's the area I emphasize with Gillian, I was happy to see their awesome outcome. While the rest of us walked around the classroom to check Gillian's work, Charlton found his own favorite place to be, near a computer. That's how early technology creeps into the life of this generation!
When we arrived at Jefferson's class, he immediately took control of the visit. With a clip board in his hands and a list of things to see, he directed us around the classroom toward his accomplishments. His handwriting isn't that great because he is always in a rush to write as much as possible. He has an amazing imagination and loves to write and illustrate. I was also in awe of his art portfolio. While Gillian's art is very modern and surreal, border line cubism, Jefferson's art is precise and real. He seems to have an understanding of the spacial relationship between objects. Even though there was no computer nearby, Charlton was able to find his own entertainment here as well.
It has been a long and tiring day for me, carrying various pieces of furniture up and down, organizing closets, shelves, dusting, vacuuming, and many more. However, seeing my children's progress and their art and science portfolios, brightened my day. School is so much fun! I'm glad that my children love learning. Since I have taught and guided them toward a love of learning and education in the early years of their life, from now on is smooth sailing when it comes to their desire to read and learn new things each day. They crave it, want it, and enjoy it. I think it's one of the most precious gifts we as parents can give to our children. Seeing this magnificent light in their eyes as they shared what they had learned, studied and created made my heart rejoice.
"You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives." ~Clay P. Bedford
No comments:
Post a Comment