My forever family

My forever family

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Melita has weaknesses?

Writing in my blog has a been a joy, but at the same time a bit too revealing about me, mostly to myself. Before it, I thought very highly of myself, but putting thoughts into words has made me realize I'm not as perfect as I thought. For example, I never thought of myself as a procrastinator. However, facts have demonstrated to me that I am. Two months or so ago, one of the members of the bishopric, and one of my friends, who was called to be a ward missionary with an Internet emphasis, approached me and a bunch of other members of the ward and asked us to complete our profile on Mormon.org. They were going to make a pamphlet with our pictures with a bit of information under the pictures, and invite people in our own neighborhoods to visit the Mormon.org website to learn more about us. This is happening as an effort to reach more people who use the Internet and allow the world to see that us Mormons are truly normal and happy people.

Well, it took me three weeks to get my gears going, and I was very happy with my efforts. When I tried to check on my work, which I had performed on the website itself, I realize that none of my work (that took me an hour to finish) had been saved. I was devastated, and felt very discouraged. I told myself that I needed some time to calm down, before I embarked into writing my profile again. Well, it took me a while (three weeks) to calm down. Elijah, who has less time than me, had already finished his way before me. I felt that I needed to get it done, and my friends, it's finally done. I was the last one from the group to have it finished. I have no idea how this has happened, me being a procrastinator, but it doesn't sound like Melita I used to know. Now that I know my weakness, I'll try hard to make it a strength.

Here is my profile. It still needs approving from the church headquarters to appear at the website, and I'm sure they will do a lot of editing and possibly a lot of shortening, which is totally fine with me. I just didn't have the heart to do it myself.


Hello, my name is Melita. I'm a wife and a mother of four. I love to study history, read British lit, and attend the opera. I am a Mormon.

About me

I grew up in communist Albania, the first and only country to declare itself atheist. I had a safe and wonderful childhood, but as I grew older I realized that I had no freedom to make decisions for my own life. I closely watched the students’ strikes in the early 90’s, and my family and I bravely participated later in demonstrations to demolish the old regime. Afterwards, I walked with fear to school as my country went through a chaotic period from too much government control to no law-adhering citizens. I cried as I watched my close friends embark on boats through the Adriatic in search for a better life. I was among the first students to choose on my own what university to attend and worked hard to achieve it. I witnessed the stream of different religions enter my country as communism collapsed. After searching for the truth for many months, my family and I encountered two young Mormon missionaries, who taught us the word of God. We had found what we were looking for. My life changed forever as I took the first step of getting baptized and becoming a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Later, as I was attending BYU, a church sponsored university, I met my future husband. We married in the temple of God for all eternity, and today we have four beautiful children who enrich our lives each day. Besides taking care of my family, I work hard in continuing to educate myself and develop my talents on a daily basis. I enjoy reading books and have a goal of 100 a year; I love to write and I’m working on my first book at the moment; I enjoy taking pictures and try to capture my family’s happiness through them; I’m still fascinated with foreign languages and try to keep up with them; I love art and music, and attend as many museums and concerts as time permits. I love my life. I enjoy it so much because everything I do I try to share it with my family. The gospel helps me keep the right perspective. My family is my treasure on earth and in heaven.

Why I am a Mormon

My father was a Muslim and my mother a Greek Orthodox Christian. We lived in an atheist country. One word about God, and my parents could have landed in jail. Through the example of my parents, I learned that although the Party leaders could take the right to speak away, they couldn’t stop us from thinking on our own. I remember my mom secretly celebrating Passover and Easter, and dad telling us about Bajram (a Muslim holiday). I learned about Koran and Mohammed, but I was instantly attracted to learning about Jesus. I felt peace and hope as I read about Christ’s love for the world. When communism collapsed, Albania welcomed various religious sects from all over the world. Mosques were erected, cathedrals restored, chapels built. I had a sincere desire to learn more about Jesus Christ and His teachings. I attended Catholic masses, Greek Orthodox celebrations, spoke to Baptist and Methodist ministers, and read the Bible. Still something deep was missing. My family started to pray to be led to the truth. The answer came in the form of two Mormon missionaries. They weren’t much older than me, and at first I was skeptical, but every time my family and I met with them, my restless soul would feel at peace. Their instructions weren’t those of some 19 year old boys. I knew they were words from God. As I read the Book of Mormon, and then knelt in prayer for the very first time, I felt the most amazing feeling of warmth, joy and wonder. I felt as if Heavenly Father’s arms were around me and I was home. I am a Mormon because that feeling has never left me as I live my life daily according to the teachings of Christ. I am a Mormon because the Holy Spirit has testified to me that Jesus Christ is my Savior, that the Book of Mormon, just like the Bible, testifies of the divinity of Christ, and that we are led by a living prophet today. And that knowledge has helped me be a happier and better person to those around me.

How I live my faith

My religion guides my life in all its aspects. I pray daily to Heavenly Father to express gratitude and when I need comfort. I turn to the Bible and Book of Mormon when I’m seeking guidance. I attend church to renew my baptismal promises and strengthen my faith. I serve my family and teach my children to love God and their Savior.

One of my favorite ways to live my faith is by serving others. I stay home with my children to teach and guide them. I enjoy tremendously seeing my children grow strong in the gospel of Jesus Christ and make right decisions. I also teach Sunday School to a group of 8 year olds. I have learned so much from their eagerness to be like Jesus. Serving my friends in time of comfort or need is another way that helps me feel closer to my Savior. “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.” (Matthew 25:40) This is a motto that guides my life each day, and it has helped me bring joy to others and come closer to God.

3 comments: