My forever family

My forever family

Friday, June 3, 2011

Just some random thoughts...

A couple of weeks ago as we were driving back from swimming, this conversation took place:

James: I had a new swim teacher today. She is a girl.
Gillian: How do you like her?
James: I love her. She is so nice and sweet.
Gillian: Who was your teacher before?
James: I had a boy teacher, and I didn't like him that much.
Gillian: Well, you shouldn't let him know that. Try to be nice and kind to him even though you seem to not like him, and make sure you don't tell him anything mean. Sometimes people are not what they seem to be. I 'm sure he has some good qualities that you might like if you knew him.
Mom: Wow! Who needs a mom when you have Gillian!
Gillian: I do. If I didn't have you, I wouldn't be me. I love you so much, mom. You are one awesome mom. Besides, we are all connected. You teach me, I teach the boys, and the boys teach Charlton. That's what families are about.

Wow! Who needs mom! Some of us are just born wise.

This is what Gillian brought back from school the other day:

I know it's too bright to see the writing, so I'll type what she wrote:
"This mural is about my life with my family. I have six family members, including me. I love drawing my imagination. I also love reading. My favorite books are the Chronicles of Narnia books. I have a happy life. At home, I make big drawings. The biggest I ever made was one desk long! My dad is loving! My mom is glorious! My three brothers are wonderful! And I love every single one!"

It's words like these that lift me up when I feel I haven't been the best mother or when I feel overwhelmed with responsibility. It brings joy to my heart to know my children are happy, and in the end that's all that matters.

Our children aren't always happy and content, though. Just the other day, after I asked Gillian to set the table, she got frustrated and responded:"I don't want to always be good. Being good is hard work and boring." Wow, what do you say to that!

Also, a couple of Sundays ago, Gillian comes home a bit upset. When I asked her what she was upset about, she responded that she didn't like Sundays because she couldn't do anything that she liked. We had discussed keeping the Sabbath day holy commandment several times in the past, but it seems today offered another opportunity to share our testimonies, as well as allow the children to come up with their own ideas for Sabbath day activities. After sharing some words of past prophets and our own testimonies, this is what we all came up with:

Ideas for Sabbath activities:
  • Go to church
  • Visit relatives
  • Read the scriptures or other good books
  • Pray
  • Write letters
  • Write in your journal
  • Go for a walk
  • Play scripture games
  • Visit a sick or lonely person
  • Rest
Questions to ask:
  • Does it help me honor Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ?
  • Is it in keeping with the commandments Heavenly Father has given us for the Sabbath?
  • Is it restful?
  • Is it of service to anyone?
Everyone was satisfied, and then they all made their own little lists. Jefferson had made a good one, but when Elijah and I got up from our nap, I found something else added to his list that wasn't very Sabbath like, or any day for that matter.The last one says "Whip little C" meaning Charlton. We figured out Charlton must have bothered Jefferson somehow, for Jefferson to have added that to his good list. It made me laugh, but I had to keep a straight face and punish him accordingly.

James is the one who gets in trouble the least. He misses his older brother and sister during the week, but he helps me by reading on his own and playing with Charlton:
As for Charlton, I can't believe how fast he is growing in front of my eyes. He is so delicious and darling, and absolutely knows it. If he is in trouble or wants something, he will make his most darling face at you and smile as big as he can. My flirtatious little one! He loves playing with his siblings and imitates everything they do. Charlton loves to help as well. Every time I'm doing dishes, he will be there to help unload the dishwasher. He enjoys sweeping the floor, cooking with me (he likes to help with washing the vegetables) handing out our songbooks each night when we sing, is the first one to fold his arms in prayer, and if I'm loaded with heavy bags full of groceries or books, he will never hesitate to grab any of them to help me. It's a joy to have him in our family.And lastly, I can't believe how much food four little kids can consume. Just the other day I bought a huge watermelon, and because we always eat fruit after every meal, I gave them some of it. Well, they ate and ate, till the whole watermelon was gone, half after lunch and half after dinner. Wow, how many watermelons will I need when they are teenagers?

1 comment: