Since all of my children are home now, the house gets messier or dirtier faster. As a result, I had assigned two days for deep cleaning, Tuesday and Saturday. Being a Tuesday, the first half of our day today was spent cleaning. Between the children and myself, we folded and put up 8 loads of laundry, vacuumed 6 rooms, cleaned two bathrooms and a kitchen, did dishes, tidied up their bedrooms, and washed windows and mirrors. This took us about four hours. As we sat down for lunch, we hear knocking at the door. My boys' toy guns had arrived. Their father had ordered them a few days ago using the money that they had earned climbing the rope. Needless to say my boys had been in great anticipation for these precious items to arrive. They opened the box it seemed as quickly as the speed of light. However, I had to sour the moment by telling them they couldn't get their guns out and play with them because we hadn't done school yet, and no toys were allowed during school time. I was expecting some complaining but they behaved astonishingly well and did as they were told.

School was better today. They knew what to expect and followed the schedule. They worked on their spelling, math, grammar, as well as enjoyed reading on early nomads and learning about the weather. Altogether we did four hours of school. I was amazed at that fact, especially as I personally didn't expect them to last that long. Afterward they played outside with their neighbor, and at dinner time we had friends over. Before bed time we read a bit of House on the Prairie, followed by a few verses of scripture and song and prayer. It had been a long, but a very productive day.


My favorite part of the day, however, was during the time we were folding laundry. As I was putting my laundry up, and Gillian hers, we hear this very loud music in the living room. We got down and saw the boys dancing a self- choreographed ballet to the music of Grieg's Peer Gynt. It was so good and I thought my boys did such a good job following the rhythm of the music with their movements that I had to record it. Unfortunately, Blogger won't let me download it. Gillian followed suit by asking Jefferson to dance with her a ballroom dance. What more can a mother want, kids who do laundry, who don't complain about spelling, who love history, and who dance to classical music?! I'm so happy to have my kids home.
No comments:
Post a Comment