My forever family

My forever family

Saturday, December 31, 2011

My December Reading

Okay, so I didn't read as many books in December as I had set myself out to read. What with all the shows and concerts we attended, and then the many movies and shows we watched at home, my time was completely filled. Nevertheless, I was able to read some absolutely amazing, interesting, and well-written books. Here is the list for my December books:

1. The Book of Mormon - We finally finished the Book of Mormon as a family. I shouldn't put it in my own reading list, but I just feel so proud for my family to have kept the promise to each other in reading it every day since the end of August. It brought us closer to each other, and we are the better for having read it. A great book that changes lives for better. A must read if you are looking for a purpose and happiness in your life!

2. At Home by Bill Bryson
I had such a good time reading this book. I had never read any books by Bill Bryson, but this book made me want to read more of his other ones. At Home is a collection of information and knowledge concerning our homes. We follow the author around inside his home as he describes and explains things found in each room. What makes it more interesting is the fact that he gives a historical background to each of the things he describes. He starts with the history of homes, windows, doors, moves on to the hall, bedrooms, kitchen, etc, and gives us a wealth of details on each of them, their history and development throughout the centuries, as well as wonderful facts that although aren't necessary to our daily life, are very entertaining. It is a long book, but you can read a chapter at a time, and at your own leisure. Needless to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

3. Frederica by Georgette Heyer
This queen of regency romance of the early 1900's had never been in my radar, until recently that is. Frederica has as much charm as Jane Austen's Emma, as much wit as Pride and Prejudice, and as much romance as Sense and Sensibility. Although it was long, I had to finish it in one seating, which meant reading it nonstop all night long. If you are looking for a well-written Jane Austen kind-of-romance, don't hesitate to grab Frederica. You won't be disappointed with its fun characters, twists and turns of the plot, and the main theme of the fall of a cynic through the power of love.

4. Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant by Dyan Cannon
Dear Cary is a biography about one of the most classy actors of all time, Cary Grant. Written by his fourth wife, Dyan Cannon, it tells the story of their stormy relationship and marriage, Grant's addiction to LSD, Dyan's inability to cope with this great star's insecurities and baggage, and her immaturity to distinguish between romance and love. A very heartfelt letter to Cary Grant ends the book. I don't know why I never learn from my past experiences. Every time I enjoy an author, singer or actor, I want to learn more about them. Of course, learning more about them, tears down the dreamy feel you have for those personalities, and the real, and sometimes ugly truth gets uncovered. Nevertheless, Cary Grant will always be the embodiment of a debonair gentleman to me. The book was quite interesting and entertaining. A quick read into the life of not only Cary Grant, but also the many stars of that period.

5. Shakespeare - The Illustrated and Updated Edition by Bill Bryson
As I said earlier, when I like an author, I read more of his writings, and Bill Bryson has really impressed me. In this book, the author writes an amazingly clear account about what little and very confusing information we have on Shakespeare. He brings him to life by sharing details from the real documents that historians and linguistics have on file about this famous author's obscure personal life. Bill Bryson's relaxed style of writing puts the reader at ease and allows you to enjoy the subject matter. A very fine book with a wealth of information on our precious Bard.

6. Shakespeare Thefts by Eric Rasmussen
Another book on the works of Shakespeare, mainly his First Folios. In 1632, a few years after Shakespeare's death, two of his closest friends and colleagues, set out to publish all 36 of Shakespeare's plays in one comprehensive hard cover volume. There were 1000 copies made of that first edition, and three more editions followed after that. Eric Rasmussen is a well-known academic and researcher of Shakespeare, and in this book he takes us around the globe through today's many First Folios owners, as well as entertains us with very interesting tales of where the rest of the copies might have ended. A detective story on how to find Shakespeare's first edition copies of his plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment