My forever family

My forever family

Friday, December 23, 2011

What does Christmas mean to you and yours?

Christmas means a lot of things to me and my family. That's why we try to take time during the whole month of December to enjoy this magical event. That's why Elijah saves his vacation time (most all of it) for Christmas (he is spending these last two weeks of December with us at home). Christmas is the most beautiful time of the year, and here is what it means to us:

SPENDING TIME WITH FRIENDS
The Wiederhold children and my kids had a fantastic time playing at the park, talking and sharing their excitement for the holidays, as well as watching this new Christmas movie. It had a touching message and made our children think of Christmas as a special time for everyone, and that giving is the best thing in the world.

CHRISTMAS CRAFTS
James's Snowman


Jefferson's Elf


Gillian's dream of sugar plums dancing in her head


WORKING TOGETHER
One of the greatest blessings in our family is the fact that my kids love being together, whether they are playing, reading, eating, watching a movie, or even working and doing chores. Life isn't always perfect of course; they do fight and irritate each other. However, for the most part they are there for each other, and try to help one another. Having had Elijah home this week, we have been together all day and everyday, and we have loved every minute of it. Family is what this life is all about.

SERVING
Elijah made six pies just this week. And he gave them all away to friends and neighbors. Elijah and I may be different in many things, but service is a great trait that connects us strongly. Both of us believe that serving others is the most powerful way to show our love and kindness toward others and our Savoir. I'm grateful for my husband's example of giving of his time and talents to enrich others' lives. It enriches mine for sure.

REMEMBERING AND BEING REMEMBERED

GIVING AND RECEIVING


OBEYING GOD'S COMMANDMENTS
We finished reading the Book of Mormon as a family tonight! We started it in the beginning of this year, but were not reading them very regularly. On August 28, I was inspired to write a promising declaration and had each of us sign it. In it, we (my children and us the parents) promised to read every day for at least 10 minutes each from classics and scriptures. We made it; we read every day without missing any. My children know the scriptures better, we have become a stronger family, and we cherish our reading time as the most precious time of the day. What a blessing!

SEEING THE LIGHTS AT THE TEMPLE VISITOR CENTER AND REMEMBERING WHO OUR TRUE LIGHT IS: OUR SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST


SHOWING OUR LOVE FOR EACH OTHER


I'm a big Masterpiece Theater fan, and I LOVE Period dramas. Earlier this year, I got attached to this very well written series, The Downton Abbey. On January 8, the second season starts. I expressed to Elijah my desire to watch it with him, and he was so willing that we sat tonight and watched a couple of episodes from the first season. Knowing that this isn't his thing, and seeing him enjoying it just because I enjoy it, made me very happy. I know Elijah loves me dearly because he shows it in many amazing ways. I love spending Christmas with him.

READING CHRISTMAS BOOKS

Reading Christmas books each night during December truly brings a special spirit into our home. This year I was touched by the story of the Christmas truce in that long ago Christmas night of 1914. It is a beautiful book, and every time I read it I weep for those young soldiers who died a long time ago. But I also feel overwhelmed by the power of love that Christmas always brings.
That is what Christmas means to my family: LOVE.

Here is Walter Cronkite, accompanied by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, bringing this beautiful and touching story to life:

No comments:

Post a Comment