My forever family

My forever family

Saturday, January 14, 2012

So glad you are a child of mine!

You are worried about seeing him spend his early years in doing nothing. What! Is it nothing to be happy? Nothing to skip, play, and run around all day long? Never in his life will he be so busy again. ~Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Emile, 1762


We reorganized the boys' room today. Charlton is officially a big boy - he no longer sleeps in a crib! We transferred the guest bed upstairs, and replaced Charlton's crib with it. Usually we move our kids to a regular bed at the latest by 18 months. But since the boys' room isn't that big, I kept biding my time. Well, time had come for him to have his own big boy bed, and he loved it. The whole day he kept telling his siblings to go and play with him at Charlton's bed (I don't know why, but he always refers to himself in the third person. It’s kind of funny.)


Charlton has grown so much these past few months. He is still uncommonly adorable, but his own feisty personality is coming out as well, and sometimes, especially when he doesn’t get his way, he reminds me of someone very familiar to me :). At those moments, Elijah calls him the Albanian, a nickname that was actually given by me. Talk about irony.

Yesterday morning, he saw some candy in the shelf, and asked me for some. I naturally said no. He kept asking, and I kept saying no. Well, after a little while he got angry with me and said: “Go away. I’m crying.” And I of course said: “Go ahead and cry. I’m not bothering you.” To which, he replied, full of resentment, mind you, “I want to be alone!” I walked out of the room, and left him alone till he was done crying. I have to say, however, that I think I’m in big trouble with this one. I just can’t keep a straight face with the things he says, and it takes a lot of restraint to pretend I’m really disappointed and hurt, because in reality I can’t have enough of this sweet, chunky fellow, even when he makes mistakes.

However, 90% of the time, Charlton behaves admirably. He loves his siblings, and they love him back to the point that they become very competitive in their degree of adoration, sometimes ending in fights. Funny, isn’t it, to fight over how much you love someone? Charlton loves to do and say what his older siblings do and say, and sometimes he adds his own spice into the mix. Here is a picture that says it all:

Don’t you love his “live long and prosper?!”


I love it that they are best friends


Just the other day, while I was cooking in the kitchen, I see Charlton merging from my room wearing Jefferson’s tiger scout hat and scarf, as well as holding Jefferson’s tiger scout book. When I asked him what he was doing, he replied: “I’m going to tiger scouts.” - pointing to the tiger on the book. I had to take a picture, so when I asked him if I could take a picture, he said with an air of authority “Sure” and then proceeded to pose for me. I couldn’t stop laughing. It was so funny to see this cherub of a boy so serious and grown-up.


He cracks me up every day. I need to write some of those down, because truly they are priceless. At church, the other day, Elijah and I couldn’t stop laughing at our little Charlton. We were sitting near our neighbors, an older couple. Charlton really loves them and sat next to them as soon as we got into our seats. During Sacrament meeting, Sister Paul and Charlton were having fun, whispering to each other, and drawing a variety of things. At one point, Charlton said something funny, and Sister Paul was about to give him a hug and put her arms around him, but Charlton stopped her and said: “Oh, no. My hair!” You see, Elijah puts gel on the boys’ hair each Sunday, and Charlton is no exception. Furthermore, Charlton is the one who takes it very seriously. Of course he couldn’t have a hug. His hair wouldn’t be perfect!

A couple of days ago, I took him to the doctor. We had parked a bit far from the entrance, and I asked him if I could hold his hand so he would be safe. He responded: “No, mommy. My hands like my pockets.” He walked all the way to the doctor’s office with his hands in his pockets, until he saw some books there and had to use his chubby little hands to grab them.

Today he helped Elijah fill the bird feeder with seeds. As Elijah was hanging the feeder back, Charlton kept asking him, repeatedly, where the birds were. After Elijah explained to him that they were afraid to come out, he went inside, and kept checking regularly. When the birds finally came and started to eat, we all gathered around Charlton and congratulated him on a job well done. Now if it weren’t for those squirrels eating the birds’ food, we would have a lot more birds in our back yard. At least, we have Charlton who keeps an eye on them, and tries to keep the birds happy, as well as the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment