My forever family

My forever family

Thursday, June 10, 2010

My In-laws

Yesterday, my father-in-law had open-heart surgery. This whole thing came about very suddenly. We knew he had high blood pressure, but we didn't realize how close he might have come to a heart attack. He went to an eye doctor last week, because he couldn't see well from one of his eyes. The eye doctor got so scared when he measured my father-in-law's blood pressure, that he sent him to the emergency room. After many tests, they scheduled him immediately for a surgery. The surgery went smoothly without complications, and he is still in intensive care, but doing well. He has been in our thoughts and prayers constantly. When a loved one gets sick, and there isn't much the rest of us can do, except pray and then pray some more, it's hard to feel useful or helpful. So, I've been thinking of ways I could help my father-in-law, and I've made a short list of things I can do to facilitate his situation and have him know that we care. I did one of them yesterday. I went to a thrift store and bought a bag full of books that I thought he might enjoy reading. Now, I don't want to make light of the situation of an open heart surgery, but I think having books on hand for my father-in-law wouldn't help just him, but my mother-in-law as well. She wouldn't need to be the only friend and caregiver. She can get some rest, while he turns his attention to stories of spies and adventures. Now, I'm writing about this freely, because I know there is no Internet in my father-in-law's intensive care.


Speaking of my mother-in-law, today is her birthday. I want to wish her the best. I don't know anyone who is as humble and meek as my mother-in-law. She truly is an example of living a Christlike life. My mother-in-law is kind, thoughtful, long suffering, calm, faithful, and pure. She always tries to please everyone and I've never heard her speak evil of others. She serves others in many ways and never expects anything in return. She is the hardest person to get presents for, because she doesn't feel a need for the things of the world. My mother-in-law is a great mother, and she has done a wonderful job raising my husband. She is an exceptional grandmother as well. She doesn't need to do much to please my children. Just being with her is enough for my children. She radiates love for them through her countenance and demeanor. I appreciate that and I'm grateful for her. I love you, mama, and I wish you a wonderful birthday, and a great year to come.

Today, we spent most of the day reading, so I thought that with a nice weather like we had today, I should take my children out. We had been to playgrounds everyday this week, and I wanted something different. Since we didn't have much time between picking up Gillian and coming home by six to babysit for one of my friends' daughter, we compromised and went to Heather Farm Park. It has plenty of play area, nice view for a relaxing picnic, and beautiful gardens for plenty of photography.

I let the children play for over an hour at the playground, while I played with Charlton and wrote some letters to friends. After that the children got very hungry and we found a spot, sat down and had our picnic. Charlton got to taste his first peach.


After the children finished eating their food, I suggested we stroll through the gardens. This time of the year the rose gardens are in full bloom and their resplendent colors lift up your spirits. And they make dazzling pictures.

On the way back, the children noticed these sprinklers of cyclopean dimensions and wanted to cool themselves by playing in them. I knew full well that when that was over, they would be totally and completely soaked. But I let them anyways. They enjoyed it profoundly. I enjoyed taking pictures of them going crazy and looking happy.


We said good bye to the ducks and geese,
and then headed home with enough time to give a bath to each of the children, and be ready for my friend's daughter. The children were very tired tonight, and after scripture study, they went straight to bed. I better go to bed myself; these children tire me out!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea to get Papa some books! Jacob and I helped Mama create a Netflix account so that he'll have some new movies to watch (now that their Movie Gallery has gone out of business). A 6-8 week recovery should go by much more smoothly with some good entertainment!

    ReplyDelete