My forever family

My forever family

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Books, books, books, and more books. I love my life!

I went to book club tonight, and I remembered that I hadn't posted my books for June. So, my friends, here goes the list (I wish I had read more, but if you've read my blog lately you would know I've become a nomad taking my kids everywhere and coming home exhausted every night):

38. A series of unfortunate events - Book 1 - by Lemony Snicket

39. A series of unfortunate events- The Reptile Room - Book 2 - by Lemony Snicket (I don't know why I'm reading these books. I don't like them; they are sad and they make me sad. Furthermore, they are written by a very sad person. The stories are for young kids. So, please tell me to stop. When I start a series, I just can't make myself stop even when I dislike the books. It's a bad habit I have. I don't want to read any more of these, but in a weird way I'm hooked. It tells the story of three orphans, adding to the numerous books about orphans out there, Oliver Twist, Anne of Green Gables, and Harry Potter are but a few that come to mind. It tells of their misfortunes and experiences as they try to overcome hardships. I guess I just don't like the gray and hopeless air that surrounds the book. Also, it's driving me crazy that I can't find anything personal about the author, so I can analyze the reasons behind writing this book. I think I've written more than these books deserve to be written about.)

40. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Not a summer read, but definitely a good read. It talks about the war in Sarajevo, but mostly about the war inside our hearts and how we can discover our humanity in whatever circumstance we are found in life. It's touching as a story and is very well written. The characters are portrayed in such a way that you can feel their pain and joy, and often times you feel they are you. There isn't much of a plot, but the themes it expresses are a lot to think about. Give it a try in September!)

41. Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos (I LOVED this book. You can read it in the summer, fall, winter or spring, it will always touch your heart, cry, laugh, talk back to the characters, and feel their compassion and kindness. This is a good book, where good people get to have good things. It's very entertaining as a style with the author writing as if she is talking to you. I love her usage of classic movies as a basis for the main character's personality. I don't want to say any more, because I don't want to spoil it for you guys. Read it! You'll love it.

42. Belong to me by Marisa De Los Santos (The sequel to Love walked in. Even better the second time around. There are a lot more characters and fun and sad situations. What are you waiting for? Go and put it on hold at the library. Katherine, I already mailed my copy to you. It should come any time now.)

43. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (A quick and good read. A lot of simple, but wise advice found in this little book. I like the story and its metaphor, but especially its theme of following your dreams and never letting your heart stop from truly living.)

44. The Last Battle by C.S.Lewis (The last book of the Chronicles of Narnia saga. I have to say that I started reading them with a little apprehension. I thought they were going to be just for kids. However, I've truly enjoyed them, the author's style, creativity and imagination, as well as the characters, all of them. It came to be a competition between me and Gillian, who was going to finish them first. I can't wait to take her in December to see the third movie installment, The voyage of Dawn Treader, which I really liked.)

45. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (I'm absolutely hooked on these books. I just finished this one, and I put the second of the series on hold. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I know it's going to be another all-nighter. The third one comes this September. I don't think I can wait for the library;I'll have to go and buy it. If you are wondering why do I like this book, I don't know if I can give you a straight answer. I love the plot, the themes it deals with. I'm totally hooked on the romance triangle. I love the characters, and it's just very entertaining, a great summer read.)

Go and have a feast now! I have around ten thick books that promise to be absolutely great for this coming month. Till then, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Finally catching up on your blog since a quick trip to NY last week. Love the book list as always. Isn't Hunger Games great? I read the second and am anxiously awaiting #3!! Thanks for the idea of the Marisa de los Santos books. I had heard they were good. Now, with your endorsement I'll have to read them. I will call you when I have time... or email, or something. I miss you!! :)

    ReplyDelete