California has totally corrupted me and my relationship with my books. As much as I've been enjoying going places and discovering new adventures throughout this beautiful state, I have to say I've missed reading. Here is the list of books I read this month, and although I'm lagging behind with my goal, I know I'll catch up, (if only I didn't read books that were over 500 pages long):
46. Medusa by Clive Cussler (Long, but very interesting adventure book. Great for a summer read at the beach or at home. )
47. Driven by Larry H. Miller (Autobiography) (This was a very insightful and honestly written autobiography about this amazing man. I enjoyed learning about his life, his principles, his successes and failures. It is a book that will capture you right at the first page with its heartfelt stories and common sense. Although it's a long book, it's an easy read, more like he is talking to you rather than writing it. I highly recommend it for any season.)
48. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (A very fun book for older children ages 8-12. It has all sorts of creatures and characters, and it's very entertaining. Not scary like Harry Potter, but more like an adventure and mystery book combined. I would recommend it for all ages. However, it's a long book and the little ones might not have the attention span for it. That's why is better for 8 and up.)
49. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (Another long book, but captivating. The characters and the plot were predictable, but the facts and the back story is very interesting. I also enjoyed tremendously the message that permeated from this book. A good and interesting read.)
50. A tree grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (I really liked this book. Although it had no particular plot and the feel of the book was sad throughout it, I enjoyed reading and thinking about what I read. The story of a young girl's coming-of-age during the early 1900's was the story of any girl, not because of the particulars, but because of her discovery of human wisdom and life's common sense through trials and hardships. Not a summer read, but definitely a great read.)
51. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (My sister-in-law, Sarah, wanted to give this to my daughter for her birthday, so I had to read it before. If you love mystery books, this one is for all of you, regardless of age. It reminds me of Agatha Christie kind of mystery, about the psychology of human behavior rather than that of the crime, but with a different writing style. It was so fun to read, and at times frustrating, because the writer would leave little clues in each page, and I would go back and try to find where I had read that information. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a fun and entertaining book with twists and turns that keep you on your toes.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment