August is ending soon and September is finding me lagging behind with my reading goal. Furthermore, it's not really the distance between me and my goal that upsets me, but the fact that I haven't been able to find the time to do my favorite thing, reading. Even for these few books that I was able to read, I had to stay late till the wee hours of the morning to finish. I know I shouldn't be hard on myself, considering I've had guests everyday for two months, I've thrown parties and celebrated three birthdays the past month or so, I've traveled high and low with family and friends, and I've taken care of the needs of my family and our guests. I've really enjoyed having had this chance to entertain family and friends this summer. My children have been able to enjoy the company of their extended family as well as that of our close friends. And I've loved being a hostess. It has been exciting to find new places to see and new things to do. And I know there are many more treasures to be discovered in this area, so friends and family, don't hesitate to come and visit us. We would love to see you all and try to make great memories together. For now, however, I'm truly looking forward to more reading and less sightseeing. My passion for books is fiercely jealous and I've ignored its wailing long enough. Here is the short list for the month of August:
52. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (This book is so entertaining and fun; it'sa good read for anyone. However, those of you who love and read classics will especially love this book. Not wanting to spoil the plot to those of you who would like to read it, it takes place in a contemporary world, one filled however with advanced sciences that have taught people to pass through time as well as through books. Individuals can enter original manuscripts of classics and, depending on your desire to just be a visitor or destroy the plot as the antagonist wants to do, interesting things happen. The story has a few other subplots, one of them being the love interest of the main character. The author has written more books continuing with the same theme, which I haven't read, but plan to read a few in the future. I recommend this book if you are in the mood for clean, entertaining fun. I really love the idea of visiting various books and interacting with the characters, but for now I'll just be satisfied with reading about it.)
53. From the mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by e.l.konisburg. (I had heard of the author before, but I had never read any of her books. Gillian's book club was reading it for this month, so I decided I would read it too. It was a quick read, but I really enjoyed it. The main characters of the book, a sister and a brother, leave home and spend more than a week in hiding at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Of course, this story takes place many years ago when streets were safe and museums were free. The books deals with their adventures in the museum and in the city, as well as the growth and understanding of her own heart and self that happens to the main character. All in all, a beautifully written book, entertaining characters, great references to art, and a deep, but simple message for all ages who need to know their own self. I recommend it to any age group.)
54. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (I'm sure all of you "Hunger Games" fans read and devoured this book when it came out. I finished reading it under the disturbing light of a flashlight while visiting Yosemite. I didn't want to wake up my kids with the normal light, since we were all sleeping in the same room. It didn't matter, though, because regardless of the dim light, I loved it. I'm still rooting for Peeta, and although I can't hate Gail for anything, I'm a team Peeta fan. The third installment has just come out, and I can't wait to read it. I like the interesting idea behind the book, and I'm enjoying the love triangle, but I have to say, in the end, it is just another young adult book. If you are looking for an easy and entertaining read, this trilogy is for you. This book was great for me when I had no time or brain cells left at the end of the day to otherwise enjoy a deep and fascinating classic.)
55. Frindle by Andrew Clements (This is Gillian's book for her September Book Club. Although it's written for middle school kids, it was as fun to read for Gillian as it was for me. Frindle has received over 35 awards throughout the country, and is well loved by many middle school age children. If you are asking yourself about the meaning of the word Frindle, don't hurry to your dictionaries yet. It is a made-up word. Nick Allen, a 5th grader and the main character of the book, is dissatisfied with the explanations of the dictionary, and he longs to change the names of various objects. He thought Frindle sounded better suited for pen than the word pen, so he changed it and received a following among his classmates. His English teacher, however, doesn't have as big of an imagination as Nick, and doesn't approve...so a war starts between them. This book reminded me of my younger days when I started my love affair with words. Funny and easy read.)
56. Artemis Fowl - The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer (I couldn't help myself from checking out the rest of the Artemis Fowl series. The author has created such fun characters, from the underground hidden trolls, goblins, fairies, leprechauns, to a boy genius and his loyal, but mysterious bodyguard. And then what's not to like when these magical creatures team up with Artemis to fight a common enemy, the Russian Mafia. Wow, James Bond for the middle school-age readers out there! My favorite thing about the book is the way the author explains the different kinds of magical creatures and how real they seem to be.)
Five out of my average eight isn't that good, especially considering this seems to have been the norm for all three months of summer. However, I'm not discouraged. September promises to be a good literary month. Enjoy reading, and don't forget to share your favorites with the rest of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mixed up Files is one of my favorite books... I always thought it would be so interesting to solve a mystery like theirs... if you liked it you should read others of e.l.konisburg's books, including View from Saturday... I have a collection if you want to borrow them. Also, I am so glad you are on Team Peeta, everyone else around me is a Team Gail person... and I like Peeta!
ReplyDeleteMy August reading included the third "Girl with..." in the trilogy. I loved them, but not sure you'd be ok with the graphic nature of the novels. Very unsettling. But I love those kinds of thrillers. I also read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. Interesting take on the holocaust in Paris/present day. And I read a total throw-away beach read by Carl Hiason (NOT for the kids) called Star Island. Am just starting Mockingjay (yay!) and hope to blow through a bunch of books this fall. Will try to keep track of them, too. I'll pass along any that are worth your time. Only Sarah's Key might be from my August list. :)
ReplyDelete