My forever family

My forever family

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Waterfalls and water stains

One of the places we wanted the Cannon Family to see while visiting us here in California was the Yosemite National Park. We had made reservations for two cottages located down in the valley, and we were all excited to experience Yosemite together. I was looking forward to capturing beautiful sunsets over the glorious mountains and gorgeous waterfalls down in the valley.

The ride down to Yosemite National Park was very relaxing, and although I really enjoyed watching the different kinds of evergreens and red woods as we passed them, this time I was also attracted by the spectacular view of the mountains. Often times, I would find myself thinking we were in the Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and those mountains were not really mountains but luscious chocolate cake.


When we approached the valley, we were all silent as we each observed the magnificent creations made by the hand of God. When we stopped, we let the kids stretch their legs. Elijah and Paul took them to hike this little hill, while I volunteered to stay in the car with Charlton, who was taking a nap. The real truth was that I wanted to finish reading the second installment of "Hunger Games." I had been so busy with guests and field trips and parties, that my passion for reading had been subdued involuntarily. Since the third installment was coming out today, I was determined to finish the book before I got back home. I did take some pictures in between my reading and the children's hike.


After visiting a few other places, we went up to see the Bridal Veil Waterfall. Last time we went to see this fall, it was overwhelming with water since the snow from the mountain had just melted. Yesterday, the day was clear and there wasn't as much water rushing from the waterfall down the rocks. While Elijah took care of Charlton, Paul and I took the kids for a hike all the way up to the waterfall's edge. The climb was splendid. We couldn't believe our little ones, especially Piper and James, who are the same age, made it all the way with very little help. Jefferson and Taylor would compete with each other who would get higher faster. That was so dangerous because you could fall and hurt yourself if you weren't being careful. Gillian and Natalee were very caring and often times would try to help the younger ones. We rested for a little while at the base of the waterfall. This gave me a chance to take a few pictures.


I was really enjoying this hike. We wanted to reach the edge of the waterfall, and the children were all for it. However, as we were all getting ready to continue our climb, something happened. My spirits dampened as I watched my camera fall from my wrist and immerse itself in the water of the pond near the base of the waterfall. After I got it out of the water, I tried to make it work, but the only thing I could see were water stains throughout the screen. Needless to say reaching the edge of the waterfall had lost its appeal on me. Nevertheless, we reached our goal and got back down safely. Elijah said that it took us more than an hour to get up there and back. I was sad that my camera had been ruined, especially considering we were at the beginning of our exploring the park. I felt heartbroken thinking of the many opportunities I would miss capturing with my camera. My memory would have to suffice this time.

We stopped by a pond that had been converted into a beach with sand around it, and the children took their shoes off and without delay dived into the cold water. It was hot and that looked very refreshing. I wished I had brought my swim suit; I would have done the same. We stayed there for quite some time, the adults talking and the children splashing each other. Just the right thing to do under a full moon.

When we all felt it was time to eat, we walked toward some good restaurants found near our cottages. We had a delicious dinner, and after relaxing and enjoying the fresh air of the mountains, we headed to our cottages for some needed rest. After teeth were brushed, pajamas put on, and prayers said, we turned the lights off and went to sleep. When I felt that everybody was truly asleep, I turned my tiny flashlight on and tried to finish my book. It was hard reading under a tiny light, but I was so enjoying the story that the hardship was worth it. Later, I closed my book feeling excited to read the next installment.

Today we drove through Yosemite National Park. Our goal was to hike toward Mariposa Grove, where a bunch of giant sized sequoias are found. We parked and then hiked for a few miles. It was very hot, but it seems the heat didn't bother the children. However, I was glad I had some water with us, especially after seeing that Charlton wasn't feeling well. The heat wasn't helping him much. I poured some water all over his face and then gave him some continuously. We all enjoyed seeing the 600 year old Giant Grizzly, as one of the oldest red woods is called. We took turns going through the California Tunnel Tree, another giant sequoia that has a big hole cut in the base of the tree for people to walk through it. It was actually cut in 1895 to allow coaches to pass through, but now of course it's been used as an attraction for tourists.

After finishing our hike, we got back into our cars and headed home, stopping on the road later for supper. Glorious sunsets greeted us as we drove through this beautiful state. As soon as I got back home tonight, I put my camera in a bag full of rice. Paul had mentioned that one of his friends had done something similar and his camera had worked after a couple of days. We double checked on line, and we read same results. Without delay, I buried my camera in the bag of rice, and prayed that it would work. Taking pictures with my phone isn't that much fun.

With the exception of my camera's damage, the trip was fabulous otherwise. We all had a great time hiking, talking, and enjoying the gracious beauty of our Heavenly Father's creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment