I have never liked red traffic lights, but on this occasion I was happy to see any red light, just so I could read some in the car. When I got home, I put Charlton down and took a moment to think. I was faced with two options. The first option, the impulsive one, suggested that I sit down and read the book right then and there, and stay put till I finished it. I would forget about any other chores I had on my list that day, and my family would not be able to talk to me. The other option, the logical one, offered the proper solution of addressing the many responsibilities I had on my to-do list, as well as being a good mother to my children. I would read the book when my children went to bed. I didn't like either of the options, so I had to come up with a third one. As you read what follows, I give you permission to call me the lamest person on earth, but I had no choice. I looked at the last page, read what seemed to me to be a satisfying ending, relaxed, and moved on with my day. You see, if I had waited till evening, I would be distracted the whole time, and I wouldn't pay full attention to my children. This way, I wasn't as anxious while thinking about the book, and I had the patience to wait till later. I know it was a lame solution, but it worked for me. Compromises are never satisfying; they just get the work done.

I didn't get to my book till 10:00 p.m. I read on for the whole night, finishing it around 4:00 in the morning. Now comes the worst part of it. If you haven't read the last book, and are looking forward to reading it, please stop reading this post. I'm going to vent my dissatisfaction with the author's paranoia about war, and her inability to write a book that could inspire and please her readers. With regards to plot and character development, this was absolutely one of the most depressing and badly written books that I have ever read. I felt I was reading a quite different book from the other two, where the characters were strong and worked together. Katniss, the female hero, was depressed and having a melt down every other page; my favorite character, Peeta, was cut out of the book via a hardly believable subplot, Gail was portrayed as a war-loving and revenge-seeking young man (when in the past you couldn't help it but love him for his compassion and honesty), Finnick, formerly a handsome and brilliant political and emotional player, was transformed into a broken-down soul, and so on with the rest of the characters. None of them had any connection with their previous selves, and I felt disconnected with each one of them.
As for the plot, this was straightforward anti-war propaganda. Now, when it comes down to it, no one likes war. However, as you read the first two books, where the Capitol has taken every freedom away from its citizens, you can't help but hope that the young generation of citizens will rebel and fight for their lost freedoms and rights. It is a necessary fight, a fight that we've seen in this country when we gained our independence from Great Britain, some two hundred years ago; it's a fight that will claim many lives, because after all freedom isn't free; it's a fight, however, that will in the end bring redemption and freedom. Ms. Collins brought no such redeeming feelings in her book. People fought against each other without the inspiration of the freedoms I've been talking about. There was only hatred, senseless death, manipulation, and despair. As for the characters of the book, the author either killed them off, or they were so broken down emotionally and psychologically that they were beyond repair. I cannot believe human beings to be creatures without strength and hope. I believe us to be courageous enough to help each other when in need, to inspire each other, and if necessary to give our lives for the betterment of mankind. Although I'm not so naive as to believe that manipulation and corruption don't accompany war, I feel that the majority of individuals would discover their humanity and fight with courage for their freedoms and those of others. Ms. Collins offers no such courage, hope, or faith in humanity. Apparently, she doesn't believe that human beings are capable of overcoming the natural man and fighting for something bigger than themselves.
I wish she had expressed her anti-war feelings in a different book, and given us what we deserved in "Mockingjay." I wanted to remember Katniss as the strong and compassionate friend and sister, as well as the hope of the rebellion, not just its face. Needless to say, I was truly disappointed in this book. I need some really good books to read now, so I can erase the aftertaste of Collins's "Mockingjay."
Everyone I know feels the same as you. I had such low expectations of it, that I wasn't disappointed when I read it. I have been a Gale fan since day one, but felt good about the ending with Peeta. But I CAN'T BELIEVE you read the last page first! I would chose the option of ignoring the chores and the children until you finish it :)
ReplyDelete