My forever family

My forever family

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My darling Gillian

As I dropped my older children off to school today, I noticed that Gillian didn't go straight to her class. I usually don't drive off till I'm sure they have reached their destination safely. So I waited. I was about to get out of the car and see what the problem was, when I see Gillian walking with her arm around one of her friends. I had noticed that girl earlier standing by herself, all sad and with her head bowed. This may sound very silly, but my heart felt full at that moment. That is who Gillian is, sweet, considerate, loving, thoughtful, and compassionate. It reminded me of the Savior. That's what He would have done. Stop and help those in need. Gillian is such a good example to me. She is a wonderful daughter, and a great sister to my boys. What sets her apart is her maturity. She has many friends at church and at school. She always tries to please everyone, and is always so thoughtful toward others.

Just this Sunday, she surprised me again with her consideration for others' feelings. Gillian has many friends at church, but two of them are especially her closest friends, Mary and Emily. She gets along with them beautifully, and loves them equally. However, for some reasons that concern only little girls, they can't seem to have a good time all three together. As a result, Gillian invites them separately to play with her, and they always have a good time. This Sunday, I noticed that Mary was sitting alone, while Gillian was sitting with Emily. Mary and Gillian are always sitting together, and later, after church, to please Emily, Gillian plays with her for a few minutes outside. This works well. So, when I saw Mary by herself this Sunday, I was surprised.

I asked Gillian on our way home about it, and she responded to me: "I was sitting with Mary the whole time during class time, but I noticed that Emily wasn't feeling happy. She was sitting all by herself with no one to talk to. I tried to talk to her, but she didn't talk to me back. When we got to the Primary Room for Sharing Time, I made sure I sat by Emily and tried to make her happy. I knew Mary wouldn't mind. Emily felt much better, and she was her happy self again." I love Gillian, and I'm very grateful for her example of love and care toward everyone. I'm especially thankful for the joy she gives me each day.

1 comment:

  1. what a sweetheart! i totally remember having those squabbles with friends around that age. something about 3 girls that age just never seems to work out.

    ReplyDelete