My forever family

My forever family

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back in school

It was Gillian and Jefferson's first day in their new school today. They were looking forward to meeting new friends and learning fun stuff. I was a bit sad; I really enjoy having my children at home. Last night, Jefferson requested another father's blessing for beginning school in a new place. Elijah gives them a father's blessing beginning each school year, and last year was no exception. However, Jefferson wanted another one because he said he was starting in a new school. Gillian and James received one as well. It is a blessing to have a righteous priesthood holder in the family. I appreciate Elijah for honoring his responsibilities and for being an exceptionally good father.
School starts earlier here than in Virginia, and as a result they come home earlier, with more time to learn, read and play. The school is located close by, and it took me few minutes to drive them there. Jefferson was very happy to see me pick him up; he has half-day kindergarten. As soon as he got in the car, he started telling me all about school and the fun he had. He already had homework. The school that Gillian and Jefferson attend didn't have any opening in any of the kindergarten classes, but because the school has also few charter school classes, they were able to place Jefferson in one of them. That is a blessing. After talking to the teacher and participating in the classroom, I felt that these teachers were on the ball. It seemed that they took teaching these little kids seriously. I hope I'm right. Also, this year the parents and teachers had voted for school uniforms, so Gillian and Jefferson get to wear navy pants/dress and white shirt uniforms. Here they are on their first day:
When Gillian got back from school today, she said she missed me. I knew she would have harder time, because she is a bit more shy than Jefferson. To make her feel a bit better, I spent some time alone with her, and later on she wrote a poem to thank me for making her feel happy. This is the poem that Gillian wrote:
Dear mom, I love the way you smile,
Your face is like a song
You look so good in sun and rain
For I know! Because you are my mom
And I love you!
I love you, too, Gillian. I'm blessed to have you as my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment