My forever family

My forever family

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Better than expected

Today my Jefferson turned 6 years old. I'm not sure how years passed so quickly, but I'm grateful to have Jefferson in my life. From all the children he is the least like me, and because of that he keeps me on my toes. Gillian and James are a lot like me. They love to read, have friends and enjoy life. Jefferson likes to read, but his thing are hands-on projects which I'm not very good at. He likes friends, but doesn't mind being on his own and doing his own things. He likes people, but doesn't try to please everybody at all times. He has a mind of his own, but doesn't force it on others. He prefers to be liked by others, but it's not important to him, and he is not bothered by others' harsh comments. He is confident in himself, but not arrogant. Academically, I haven't had to teach him how to read or do math. He has picked up on them on his own. When he asks questions, I need to look the answers up on a dictionary or scriptures. My relationship with him is different from the one I have with Gillian and James. Conversation is more involved between us, and sometimes I feel like I'm talking to an adult, not because of the richness of his vocabulary (Gillian gives me that pleasure), but because of his matter-of-fact behaviour. You can't help, but take Jefferson seriously. I'm glad Jefferson is who he is. It makes my life very interesting, and makes me want to be a better mother and person. It's challenging, but fun seeing life and world with a perspective different than your own.
Because Jefferson puts a lot of importance on birthdays and presents, we tried to make today a special day for him. We started off with Elijah waking up earlier than usual to pick up some fresh donuts for breakfast. I personally don't like sweets in the morning, but every little boy dreams of donuts for breakfast and Jefferson is no exception. He was particularly happy when Elijah had bought most of them with chocolate and sprinkles, Jefferson's favorite. Later on, just before his school was over, I took some cupcakes to his class mates and had them sang 'Happy Birthday' to him. Here is a picture of some of his friends from school:
After picking up Gillian, we went to the party store so Jefferson could pick up games and party favors. Since we've been reading and watching the Chronicles of Narnia books and movies, Jefferson chose Narnia to be his party's theme. We went all out of course for kings and queens' swords and hats and bows and arrows. Jefferson was really excited. We bought just a hat for Charlton, since we didn't think he would enjoy archery and fencing yet.
Elijah arrived a bit earlier than usual so we could have few minutes by ourselves before the party started. We had Jefferson open presents from us, Gillian and James, and his extended family. He did receive some really fun gifts, but his favorite was his nerf gun with 35 darts, which fortunately were made of foam and didn't hurt at all when shot on our way.
He had invited few friends for his party, and when they got here I welcomed them to the enchanted land of Narnia, where they could become kings and queens if they proved themselves as such with good behavior, skill and bravery. After playing outside for few minutes, the warriors were ready for some grub. We gladly provided them with pizza and fruit, and later cupcakes. Jefferson had proved himself a good hearted king when he had told his mom not to labour on a special cake; he would be very pleased with some yummy cupcakes.
After food was consumed, it was time for the tournament. The master archer and swords woman Melita first taught them the rules and skills required for such sports and then commenced the tournament. High King Peter (Jefferson) won the archery contest and Queen Lucy (Gillian) proved to be a great sword woman even though her sword broke in the middle of the fight. She continued her fight with bravery and tenacity. Pin the nose on the Joker was the last game of the tournament, and Prince Caspian (Jack) won that with honesty. Presents were offered to the High King whose birthday we were celebrating. King Peter was delighted to receive gifts such as 'Built your own clock', and 'Try your own electricity experiments.' He rewarded his friends with a pinata full of delicious candy.

The kings and queens ended their evening with a group picture sitting on their thrones, promising to return again to the magical land of Narnia.
When the party was over and we were getting ready to go to sleep, Jefferson made the comment that his party had turned out better than expected. Well, Jefferson, you have turned out above expectations yourself. Thank you for being my son. I love you for always and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment