My forever family

My forever family

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Exploratorium Experience

Today, I took the kids to a science hands-on museum in San Francisco. The museum was spacious with a lot of science displays which kids could touch, pick up, play or tinker with. There were hundreds of exhibits dealing with the mysteries of the mind, sound, solar system, earth, weather, human body, and anything scientific that you can think of. It was so fun to see old and young having fun and learning about the world that surrounds us. I would have to say, though, it was very hard for me to keep track of all four (Gillian's friend, Emily, was with us as well) each going in different directions. There were so many exhibits that the kids went all wild. I didn't actually expect them wanting to try every experiment or check every exhibit, but they were totally into it. I try to read most of the information to them, but then again most of the time they would be doing each different things that my time was spent more on knowing where they were than in reading. Nevertheless, I didn't feel guilty for not fulfilling my educational role as their teacher; they actually didn't need it. Many time they would tell me what they were learning. It's interesting how much children learn from hands-on experiments. Here are some of the many things they got to see and touch:

Making their own musical instruments
Trying to make the biggest bubble


Building an arch all by themselves
Learning about sand and wind

Making clouds
Learning about air and pressure
Puzzling over patterns and perception
Experimenting with pulleys
Observing a vortex being created
We stayed at the museum till it closed at 5:00, and then took a leisurely stroll by the Palace of the Fine Arts. I'm so glad my children learned so much and had a great time. Next time, however, I will take another adult with me, so I can learn some too.

2 comments:

  1. Making the biggest bubble is my favorite! There is a similar hands-on science place in Hong Kong where I took Ian and Ashley several times (10 years ago -- now I feel old!) and I think those places are so great! Looks like you got some great photos and you are truly making the most of your time in the SF Bay Area -- it's a fantastic place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a kid at your house! Looks like you had a fun spring break.

    ReplyDelete