So, last week, in addition to not having had Elijah home, I had caught a crazy cold. This makes two colds within two months. I rarely ever get sick, perhaps once in two or three years. Nevertheless, these past two months, I have had body aches, coughs and fever. Elijah attributes it to my staying up very late each night and not having enough rest. That might be true, but then again how do I get things done. Last two to three weeks, however, I have been trying to relax a little. I would get all my chores done, write in my blog, read my book, and then I would stretch out and watch a movie. You guessed it right if you think that pushed my bed time a bit further. Nevertheless, I'm happy to announce that not only I was able to read almost ten books last months, I also watched a lot of movies. Last week, while Elijah was gone on his motorcycle trip, I watched a movie every night. This is unheard for me. I usually watch that many movies a year. I don't feel ashamed at all, and I'm writing tonight to share the movies I've watched these past two months with you. Here is the list:
1. Alice in Wonderland directed by Tim Burton. I had watched this movie at the theater, but I wanted to share it with Elijah as well. I love this movie and everything that Tim Burton has done with it, the plot, the casting, the costumes, the make-up, the animation, the message,etc. A treat to watch anytime.
2. Miss Pettigrew lives for a day. This is such a cute little movie that mixes drama, comedy, romance, and silliness all in one. I've heard the book is way better, but I haven't read it. I enjoyed watching it. It's definitely a "feel good" movie, and the acting makes it even better. Frances McDormant leads the band of great actors such as Ciaran Hinds, Lee Pace, Amy Adams, Shirley Henderson, and many others.
3. Green Card. This was very delightful to watch. Another chick flick, but Gerard Depardieu and Andie MacDowell have exceptional chemistry and make this simple and cheesy movie into a classic.
4. The Young Victoria. Gillian and I had just finished reading this book about real princesses throughout history, and there was a biography about Princess, and then Queen Victoria in it. I was intrigued by her love story and the determination she had to become a good queen. This movie captures her first years as a queen as well as her love story with Prince Albert. Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend make a fabulous couple and I was truly impressed by their excellent acting. The costumes, the cinematography, and the sub plots added to the enjoyment. A must see for any one.
5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I was a bit disappointed by this movie, since I was actually expecting a bit more romance and a lot more action. It fell flat for me, and, although, I thought Angelina Jolie stole the whole movie with her gorgeous looks, I still would not recommend it. The chemistry between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt is undeniable, but besides that, I didn't get any suspense or interesting plot.
6. Nights in Rodanthe. I had read the book and had gotten over the shock that the ending caused me. So, I watched the movie without having to hold my breath for its ending. It didn't ruin it for me; it actually helped me in enjoy it more. I love Diane Lane in a lot of movies. She is so down-to-earth in her approach of characters that she easily wins the audience with her warm smile and natural beauty. This is a sad, but cute little movie.
7. Miss Potter. This was my favorite movie of all the movies I watched these two months. It tells the story of Beatrix Potter, the author of the beloved Peter Rabbit stories, and her desire for independence, love and romance. Renee Zellwiger and Iwan McGregor join forces again, but this time in a deeper relationship. Chris Noonan does a fantastic job directing this movie. I loved everything about it, the historical background, the character development, the costumes, the landscapes he picked, the portrayal of her love and of her talent for drawing and writing, the love story, the relationship between her parents, etc. A good movie to watch anytime.
8. Must love dogs. This was a silly movie about on line dating. I thought it was just boring, and not very moral. It was too bad, because I like both Diane Lane and John Cusack, and they always do such a good job as actors. John Cusack's character was surprisingly more moral and sincere than Diane Lane's, and that eased the difficulty of watching the movie just a tiny bit.
9. Under the greenwood tree. A BBC adaptation of the very long, but poignant novel with the same title by Thomas Hardy. I was absolutely impressed in how they fitted the whole novel in just two hours. Those of you who have read Hardy know that he doesn't shrink from description of any kind. I always enjoy the BBC productions, and although this isn't the kind of story I go for, the message and the romance in it made me thoroughly enjoy it.
Since we are on the topic of movies, why don't you let me know what kind of movies have you been watching lately. It would help me with my movie list for the next month (at least, till I start getting bored watching movies and pick up a new leisurely hobby).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved the movie 'Miss Petigrew Lives for a Day' -- just watched it about a month ago from Netflix =) I get about 3 movies per month since transit time is so long. The others I've seen recently are 'Becoming Jane', 'Made of Honor', ' Say Anything' and 'Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story'. These were all good. Next month I will get "Dan in Real Life' and "Akeelah and the Bee.' Happy movie watching!
ReplyDelete