My forever family

My forever family

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween!

My kids were so bummed that Halloween happened to be on a Sunday this year. However, going to the ward trunk-or-treat party eased their pain. For some reason, this year I hadn't given much thought to the theme of my children's costumes. Not that I'm very creative in that department, but in the past, at least I have had them match with each other. This Halloween, they each did their own thing.

For months, the boys have been wanting to have Ninja costumes, and I finally found some black shirts and scarfs for their masks to complete their costume (they already had black pants, boots, and swords). Gillian wanted to be Pumpkin Ghost; totally not my style. I took her to the Halloween store so I could change her mind. I tried to direct her toward the princesses area, but she found this cool witch's costume and made up her mind. Resigned, I looked for a hat to complete the outfit, and we found the prettiest hat there. It cost more than the dress, but we took it. At least, she would wear something fancy with that dress. Tonight, before we went to the party, she asked me if I could paint her nails and put some make-up on her. She didn't have to ask me twice. As for Charlton, I had no desire to spend any money on someone who is the cutest child ever with or without a costume. We used one of Jefferson's old ones, a bear. Don't try to find a thread between the ninjas costumes, the witch's, and the bear's. There is none; let's hope next Halloween finds us a bit more prepared. Who knows we might even convince Elijah to join the crew.




The ward party was a success. The trunk-or-treat its triumph. Each of my children had a bucket full of candy. They (or should I say 'we') all enjoyed three pieces. Charlton looked as if he was in heaven while eating some m&m's. The children dumped their candy on the table, James organized his, and Elijah tried to teach them a lesson on taxes. They weren't willing to learn, so we had to turn into a socialist government and take it by force, always in the name of equality. The children preferred individual choice, and were generous enough to give us some on their own accord. Charlton threw a fit when he didn't get more. I used to break down under those pitiful looks that he gives me during these occasions, but not tonight. He had more than his share of my candy, and my generosity can go so far.

Happy Halloween to everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment