My forever family

My forever family

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pumpkins, pretty sunflowers, and personal time with Jefferson

I accompanied Jefferson to his field trip today. We went and visited a pumpkin patch. Reservations were made for a personal guided tour. The tour guide was really awesome and very patient with the children. She tailored her teaching toward the children's age and attention span.

She told them about the different kinds of pumpkins and what they are used for. Then, she proceeded to teach them about each of the stages of growing a pumpkin by using visual aids and the children themselves.

On the way out toward the next station, we saw some alpacas and farm animals like pigs and chickens and so forth.
She explained to the children the importance of the farm animals in our lives, and then led the children toward some pretend cows, where they could practice milking a cow. The kids really had fun with that.
Next, we went through a corn field, and the guide taught the kids about corn and its many usages. In this station, she showed them how the Indians ground corn, and what new equipment the American colonists brought with them to grind corn into corn meal. It was really interesting to see the children making the connection between corn and flour/corn meal.
After learning about these necessary things of our lives, the children were eager to go and get their pumpkins.
After that, Jefferson and I walked around and checked out the store with its bountiful quantities of various pumpkins.
After lessons and pictures, it was time for some fun. The children let themselves go crazy at the Pumpkin Playland. The best part of all...



I really enjoyed being with Jefferson today. We had a good time. I'm grateful that I get personal time with each of my children. I think it is important for their growth and well being.

What are some of your favorite things you like to do with your children during Fall/Harvest time?

No comments:

Post a Comment