My forever family

My forever family

Thursday, December 16, 2010

My early Christmas present




A few weeks ago, I called Elijah at work and told him that he needed not worry about a Christmas present for me. I had already purchased it in his stead; I had bought tickets to the Rockettes for the whole family. Of course, Elijah just laughed and said "Merry Christmas, my dear." Since then, I've suggested a few ideas of what the kids could get me for Christmas.

We went to see the Rockettes this afternoon. Thanks to Jenny who took care of my Charlton, we were able to truly enjoy this show without having to worry about him. When we first got to the Oracle Arena in Oakland, we were quick to observe that the majority of people there attending this early afternoon show were older people and kids. Elijah and I were a small minority. It didn't disturb us; we were just curious about it. Maybe it was the early show, or maybe the Rockettes aren't as big of a deal here as in New York City.


The Christmas Spectacular was wonderful. We all had a great time being together and watching and listening to Christmas music and dance. The Rockettes are well known for their precision and synchronization, and they did a fantastic job tonight. The show itself is a mixture of Christmas songs and traditions accompanied by dance. There was the story of the Nutcracker, the story of Santa and the magic of Christmas, a few special numbers by the Rockettes such as the Soldier dance and the Christmas in New York montage. They closed the show by telling and singing the story of the birth of the Savior and the three Kings. My children didn't move from their seat not even once; they were so tranced by the story, the music and the dance. I'm so glad we went. It was a very enjoyable evening. What made it special was the fact that we were together as a family. I loved my children when they were younger, but they sure are more enjoyable as they grow older.


While I was living in Virginia, I had seasoned tickets to Shakespeare plays and the Washington Nationa Operas. I watched Broadway musicals as well. I enjoyed them all thoroughly. What are some of your favorite plays or shows that have become tradition for you to attend, or you just simply love to go and see? What are some of your favorite Christmas shows you like to see during this time of the year?

1 comment:

  1. Aren't the Rockettes fun? We went a few years ago in NY. And my parents just went in San Diego, on the 3rd. Must be the same travel troupe! We're having a quieter season this year, don't even have a tree yet (today?), since Luis broke his leg playing soccer 10 days ago. It's gotten in the way of fun family activities. maybe we'll manage a few when he's off work and we can put the temporary handicapped tag to use. We'll see. Hope you are still enjoying the season! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete