We started his birthday celebration with a little party with some of his friends from school and church. When I had asked him a month ago what theme he wanted to have for his birthday, he immediately drew plans for his party. Within a few minutes, he wrote the names of his friends he wanted to invite, games he wanted to play, food he wanted to eat, prizes he wanted to give, and presents he wanted to have. Jefferson is my kind of man, organized and ready to go.
The theme he had chosen was military. As every little boy out there, Jefferson loves playing with James using toy guns, army men, and military lingo. They also started to do push ups some time ago so they could be fit as the navy seals. I put on a simple costume that turned me into a sergeant, grabbed a whistle and assumed my role as a drill sergeant. We played games and earn prizes by doing the most push ups, target shooting (toy guns with soft bullets), and grenade throwing (water balloons). Jefferson had to learn to be gracious in his own party. He won hands down all of the games, but I had to tell him that we need to give prizes to our friends and not to ourselves. He didn't think that was fair, but he understood the reasons behind my advice.
I had made sure I had provided the table with all of the delicious food that Jefferson had requested (pizza, lemonade, chips, fruit and cupcakes).
After presents, it was time to strengthen our muscles by hitting the pinata. It took all of ten kids' effort and Elijah's hard blow for the pinata to crack open and reveal what it was hiding, delicious candy. This is my favorite part of the party, as I see the kids with their heads down and fingers working hard to grab as many pieces of candy as possible.
The party was a success and Jefferson didn't take long to play with all of his presents. Later on, we had him open the presents from his grandparents and great-grandparents in Georgia, as well as gifts from my mother, Gillian and James. Elijah and I got him a bigger bike than he has, and he seemed to like it very much. All of the kids were riding their bikes afterward on our private lane, and they sure looked as if they were having a lot of fun.
Later tonight, when I was getting them ready for bed, Jefferson requested to have his brothers sleep with him in his bed. I denied him that privilege, but I allowed them, all three, to stay in Jefferson's bed for a few minutes. Just seeing Charlton play a game boy laying side by side with his brothers, made me laugh and grab my camera:
Happy 7th Birthday to Jefferson! Parties at the Garmon house are always lots of fun -- everyone looks as if they had a great time celebrating with Jefferson. In a couple days we are having a party for Brian to celebrate with his friends from school. It is a little stretch for me as there are 21 kids coming. Ack! But we will be outdoors and I have hired two teenagers to help with the games so I can relax a little and take some photos of the party. We got the same type of pinata as you have! (Amazon.com?)except it's the shape of an '8'. It also looks like you had a wonderful Easter and really enjoyed the day with your family. Miss you -- hugs, Katherine
ReplyDelete