I always enjoy our church services. I feel the Spirit touch me when I hear the spoken word presented by our youth or any other member of the congregation. And I especially love the choir sing our testimonies in music. Today was even more special. We had uplifting talks and a touching song sang by the choir. But the highlight of the meeting was the song "When he comes again" sang by Gillian and her friend Emily. That it was sang by my own daughter made it even more special for me. I love this song. It is so simple, and yet it testifies powerfully of the Savior's resurrection and of His second coming. It speaks in the words of a child, and yet it rises questions that make me examine my own life. We are not advised to record in the chapel during our church meetings, so I don't have Gillian singing. I'll try to record her singing this song at home, but for now here are the lyrics:
WHEN HE COMES AGAIN
1. I wonder, when he comes again,
Will herald angels sing?
Will earth be white with drifted snow,
Or will the world know spring?
I wonder if one star will shine
Far brighter than the rest;
Will daylight stay the whole night through?
Will songbirds leave their nests?
I’m sure he’ll call his little ones
Together ’round his knee,
Because he said in days gone by,
“Suffer them to come to me.”
Will I be ready there
To look upon his loving face
And join with him in prayer?
Each day I’ll try to do his will
And let my light so shine
That others seeing me may seek
For greater light divine.
Then, when that blessed day is here,
He’ll love me and he’ll say,
“You’ve served me well, my little child;
Come unto my arms to stay.”
When we got home, we had some lunch and then had the kids go on an Easter egg hunt in our back yard, and then receive presents. We don't usually do these on Easter Sunday; we try to get the parties, the egg hunt, and the presents during the week. We did a nice Family Home Evening lesson on the atonement and Resurrection on Monday, but I was unable to do the rest since I was already planning Jefferson's birthday party and our trip this coming week. Nevertheless, the children had a good time and didn't notice all the things that I wanted to do but hadn't.
This was Charlton's first official egg hunt, since last year he could barely walk. It was so fun seeing him imitate his brothers and sister, making the same exclamation sounds as they did or jumping up and down for joy after finding more eggs. I couldn't stop laughing observing my children and being amazed at how blessed I was to have them as my own. On one instance, while Elijah was helping Charlton look for eggs around a tree where I had hidden a bunch of eggs, Gillian said: "Don't even go there; I've already cleaned that tree dry!" While I was helping James look for some eggs I had thought I had hidden well, Jefferson follows me and whispers to me that he had already found those hard spots because they weren't really as tricky as I had thought they were. I guess all those hours spent with "Where's Waldo?" come in handy sometimes. I have to try harder next year.
Jefferson wore his new suit to church today,and Gillian looked gorgeous in the dress that my mother gave her for Easter. Since they were excited about their new outfits, I stole a few minutes from their time and took a few pictures. Charlton was taking a nap, so I'll have to catch him later.
I'm truly grateful for my family. My children bring true joy into my life. I know because Jesus was risen, we will too. My family is a precious gift from God, and I'm grateful for the opportunity we have to be with our families forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment