My forever family

My forever family

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Housing situation solved!

This morning, I left the kids with Elijah, and mom and I drove down to San Francisco. I was going to take her to visit Alcatraz. I started our fun day by taking her down Lombard Street on the crooked part of it. The spring flowers adorned the sides of the streets, the weather was cool and beautiful, and Mom was enjoying herself better than a teenager.


We drove all the way up to Coit Tower, and then after parking, we walked alongside Embarcadero Street, where all the Piers are located.
Being a Saturday, the streets were covered with tourists, musicians, and families. We had some lunch, and then embarked the cruise ship to Alcatraz.

It was beautiful seeing the city from on board the ship. It was a bit windy and the waves were teasing each other by splashing on the sides of the boat. Growing up near the beach offered me many chances to travel by boats of different kinds. And one thing I remember vividly is the smell of the sea, salty and tangy, that would always be in my memory long after my vacation passed. Alas, this ocean doesn't give off any sort of smell, even a fishy one. Nevertheless, seeing the waves playing with each other brought back those fun childhood memories.


We finally made it to Alcatraz. Let me tell you a bit why my mom has been wanting to visit this jail. You see, Alcatraz is very popular in Albania. Being so very far away from America, and especially San Francisco, Europeans romanticise these highlights of American culture. Alcatraz is no different. My mom was describing to me all the movies she had seen that involved Alcatraz. She had told her friends that she would visit all the passageways of Alcatraz that they had observed together in specific movies. She was actually disappointed that she didn't get to visit the underground dungeons where some of the prisoners had attempted escape (this according to one of the movies she had watched.) I guess I would feel the same if, after having read the Phantom of the Opera House in Paris, I wouldn't be allowed to actually see the trap doors and underground area of the Opera where the main character of the book had made an abode of sorts. We all have our own little pet peeves.

It was funny that, as I was directing mom toward the theater where we could watch a documentary about the history of Alcatraz, she told me she had already watched that one on Discovery Channel. She was ready to be my cicerone for the tour. I didn't even need my headphones. Here are a few of the pictures I took of mom visiting her favorite jail:


I sent the following picture to my brother with these captions: "I found the solution to mom's housing situation!" To which he responded: "Great. How is the commuting?" I responded: "They recommend once a month visitations, if you can find the time." The look on my mom's face is priceless, but the fun she had showing and reshowing that picture to her friends in Albania was even more hilarious.
We finished our day by walking on Pier 39, window shopping, listening to street musicians, and watching street performers. We got home right before children went to bed. It was a good day. Thank you, Elijah, for helping with the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment