The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. -- Thomas Jefferson
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. -- Thomas Jefferson
To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. -- Thomas Jefferson
Moving on to something else. Today I taught in Relief Society. The lesson was about the fall of Adam and Eve, and we had a good discussion. During the lesson, I shared one of my favorite quotes from President Faust taken out of his talk titled "What it means to be a daughter of God." If you have a chance to read it all, it's a really uplifting talk, and here is some of it:
"As daughters of God, you cannot imagine the divine potential within each of you. Surely the secret citadel of women’s inner strength is spirituality. In this you equal and even surpass men, as you do in faith, morality, and commitment when truly converted to the gospel. You have “more trust in the Lord [and] more hope in his word.” 15 This inner spiritual sense seems to give you a certain resilience to cope with sorrow, trouble, and uncertainty.
You cannot imagine the gifts and talents each of you has. All women have appealing features. I do not refer to model-type appeal, but rather that which comes from your personality, your attitude, and your expressions. I urge you to enhance the natural, God-given, feminine gifts with which you have been so richly blessed. None of you should be so content that you cease to care about how you look or act. In his day, President Brigham Young encouraged women to get an education. This is still good counsel, but I hasten to add: in all your getting, do not lose your sweet femininity.
You sisters do not know the full extent of your influence. You sisters enrich all of humanity. All human life begins with you. Each woman brings her own separate, unique strengths to the family and the Church. Being a daughter of God means that if you seek it, you can find your true identity. You will know who you are. This will make you free—not free from restraints, but free from doubts, anxieties, or peer pressure. You will not need to worry, “Do I look all right?” “Do I sound OK?” “What do people think of me?” A conviction that you are a daughter of God gives you a feeling of comfort in your self-worth. It means that you can find strength in the balm of Christ. It will help you meet the heartaches and challenges with faith and serenity."
So, after church I'm feeling very uplifted and encouraged to start a new week with renewed strength. Later tonight, I tried to catch up with few of my friends through their blogs, and I happened to read this very interesting post in my friend Janet's blog. She was sharing few of her favorite blogs she follows and I hit on one of them, thepioneerwoman.com. I was amazed! This woman cannot be much older than me, and we had so many things in common, with the exception that she had achieved so much. She homeschools her children, loves photography, writing, cooking, interior design and being with her family. She has a fantastic blog, very organized with a lot of fun categories. She wrote a book and is trying to publish it, she taught herself photography and is an amazing photographer, and is publishing a cook book. Talk about reaching your potential. After I read some of her blog, I felt a little bit discouraged about my life. I want to achieve all those things, but life is already very busy. Oh, did I mention that she was a city girl and married a cowboy, and now lives in a ranch? Take that for busy. When I usually get discouraged because of things like this (comparing myself with others for one), I try to talk to Heavenly Father. It's not easy to humble myself, but I do it, and I'm grateful for that. After freedom to choose, personal revelation is the best gift God has given us. After my prayer, I felt His love and confidence in me. I also felt gratitude for this lady. This was new to me. I felt happy and encouraged by this woman. She seems truly a good example of what we talked today about reaching our potential. So, the moral of the story: learn from others, but love your uniqueness.
One last thought. Every night I go to say goodnight to the children, and I spend few minutes talking with each of them before I turn the lights out. It's a great opportunity to be one on one with each child and talk about their day. It's actually fun, because I ask a question about their day or whatever I can think of, and then they ask me a question about whatever they can think of, and this goes on for a little while. This post is already very long, so I'm only going to mention something Gillian said tonight. I asked her what was the favorite part of the her day. She thought for a while, and then quickly said "now." Just that word and her loving eyes made me forget all the hardships of parenthood, and be grateful I'm a mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment