My forever family

My forever family

Monday, March 1, 2010

Should the fairest of them all do laundry?

Mondays and Thursdays are my designated days of doing laundry. Only on paper. I end up doing it three or four days out of the week, and not because I have too much laundry, but because I forget the laundry in the washing machine. I detest this chore. I don't mind doing anything else in the house, but for some reason I haven't got a handle on this very simple item. The main reason that I don't like doing it is the fact that I like doing things that move fast and keep me in constant action. I just don't think waiting on the laundry is the best usage of my time, and when I do something else while waiting on it, I totally forget. In Virginia, while Elijah worked from home a lot, he would do it for me. And of course, the past four months in Virginia, my mom did it all. But now I'm stuck with it. Elijah has suggested I do one load each day, but then again I will detest it even more because it will be for sure my constant companion throughout the week. Beside having your mom or husband do it, do you guys have any other suggestions that have worked for you?

Gillian reminds me so much of me. She loves to read, and her reading is progressing speedily. Tonight, when I went to her room to say goodnight, she informed me she finished Fairest by Gail Carson Levine, and then read some retold Shakespeare plays and some pages from a Teddy Roosevelt biography for children. My rule with her reading has been that she can read anything she wants as long as it's approved by me, as well as one biography and one suggested reading by mom (usually a classic) per week. She reads fast and a lot. She started Fairest last Wednesday, and she reads just like me, three or four books at the same time, so she was able to read a lot from my suggested readings as well. We had so much fun discussing Fairest and Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. My favorite part was when she wanted to read me some of the parts she had bookmarked. They were all about love and romance! She told me that she knew I like romance and kissing parts so she had to share them with me. Am I so obvious?! I acted a good sport and when I read those parts I actually read them with pathos and drama. Jefferson, who had been listening to our conversation and was jealous that I was spending so much time with Gillian, had joined us. He wanted to be the prince and I showered him with kisses, to which Gillian responded: Mom, you are so dramatic. The prince just gave her only one kiss, and even that very quickly. To which I responded: "No wonder! Her prince wasn't as handsome as mine!" We all had a laugh, and after that Jefferson bid his princess goodnight.

I just wished this fair princess didn't have to do laundry...

No comments:

Post a Comment