My forever family

My forever family

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Music and legos

I was doing a search today on Google and I noticed that their search engine logo involved violins. I clicked and sure enough Google was celebrating Antonio Vivaldi's 332nd birthday. As I read on, I learned that beside his well known and well loved Four Seasons, he composed over 500 instrumental pieces and over 40 operas. That's very prolific. I find it amazing as I read about different successful people, but especially musicians, that their genius serves them only as a start; it's hard work and good luck (being in the right time at the right place) that makes them truly successful. Mozart, who undeniably was a genius of the first class, composed over 600 pieces, of which many are popular and well recognizable to this day. Coming back to Vivaldi, I told Jefferson about him (he was the one noticing the violins actually; we were doing a google search on ziggurats, more on that in a minute). So, we both decided to listen to some of his music, well, the Four Seasons actually. He liked Spring, and I liked Winter. So I thought I would play Spring for you to listen, especially since my friends in Virginia have had enough of winter for a while:


While we were listening to Vivaldi, Jefferson and I were working on his school project. Every week the class works on one letter of the alphabet. And every day the students bring something to school to show-and-tell relating to that letter. Having just moved here, his turn happens to be always on Friday. This week's letter is Z. We were running out of ideas by the end of the week; they were all taken by other students. I suggested looking up the letter Z in the dictionary for more ideas, and the ones left were zombie, ziggurat, and zucchini. I feel like a zombie in the morning, especially after a tough night with Charlton, but somehow I knew he wouldn't appreciate his mommy zombie in class for show-and-tell. Instead,I offered to make some zucchini bread for him, but I didn't quiet convince Jefferson. He was attracted by the sound of the word ziggurat. He didn't know what that was, but I showed him a picture in the dictionary and also looked it up in the computer. He decided he was going to build one with legos. I ended up helping, but tried very hard to not tell him how to do it. Few helpful hints here and there from me, but the rest he was able to work on his own. I thought it turned out pretty cool. What kindergartner brings a ziggurat to school! Awesome!

2 comments:

  1. i love the ziggurat, that's so creative! thanks for the blog invite Melita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Good Job Jefferson! Hyrum says, "Cool".
    The kids got Jefferson's valentines and say thank you.

    ReplyDelete