As always I was looking forward to seeing the water lilies with their giant lily pads, since they are my favorite flowers. And having read that Victoria Amazonica, or the Amazon water lily one of the biggest water lilies in the world, was to be found there, I was truly excited. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that they weren't in season yet. I took comfort in the idea that I could actually come back anytime I wanted, as well as in taking some beautiful pictures of sweet smelling orchids.
The building itself is the oldest glass-and-wood Victorian greenhouse in the Western Hemisphere. Today, there were five different displays found in the building: Aquatic Plants, Highland Tropic (this room was cold; the elevation for these flowers to exist was supposed to be between 3000 and 7000ft), Lowland Tropics (I never saw so many palm tree varieties in one place), Potted Plants (I loved the fruit trees, cactuses, and the many colors found in this room). The Special Exhibition was a very interesting display of many highlights of San Francisco. It was interesting because the displays were made by using ordinary items such as computer parts, kitchen utensils, cereal boxes etc. All in all, this was a very enjoyable and relaxing field trip.
Later on when Carolyn took us all to dinner, we were greeted by a beautiful and gigantic rainbow. Nice ending to a rainy day...
No comments:
Post a Comment