First of all, I started to read to my children when they were babies, but we really started to pay attention to books when they reached 18 months. Start it with one or two books at a time, and be patient when they bring the same books to you over and over again. Have bookshelves full of books wherever children like to sit and play. I also keep baskets full of books all over the house, and some of them have been marked according to the genre, for example history/biography, animals, phenomena, fairy tales etc. It helps the children know what we have. It is sweet when I see Charlton sit with a book all on his own just because the book was within his vision and reach.
Secondly, make good usage of the library. I used to buy a lot of books, and I still do, but now that Gillian reads a novel or two a day, I can't keep up with their reading, plus I don't have any more space. My house mostly gets messy not because of toys but because of books being read all over the rooms. We truly take advantage of the library. My children and I check out about 100 books a week. I may not read them all to them within that week, however, between Gillian, the children looking at them themselves and me reading to them, we get those books taken care within the week.
When we go to the library, we start with the non-fiction area. Every library has them; just ask a librarian where they are and what specific genres they offer for children. We start with the history department. Books about places, ancient history (the kids devour these), modern history, wonders of the world, amazing events, and so forth are on their top list. I used to pick for them, but now they just do it themselves and pick what looks interesting to them. Next is the biography area. This is my favorite area, because I love to learn about great people, and also because our library offers biographies for different age groups. So at one time I would have three different books about George Washington or Ferdinand Magellan or whoever, for each of my children's level. I usually choose the biographies according to who I want to learn about at that time (Isn't motherhood better than school? I get to learn whatever I want to.). However, my kids love this area as well. One week Jefferson had picked out books about Vanessa Williams, Marie Curie, and Confucius. I was impressed.
We proceed with phenomena, finance, discoveries, science, and whatever else they have. We leave fairy tales for last, and after that, I let my children loose to pick whatever books they want in the fiction area. By this time their individual bags are full, and they sit in the reading area and just read. I go and get my books at the hold area. They also like to check books-on-tape, and just one movie for the week. It has become like a ritual and I don't get many complaints. Instead, after library they don't want to go anywhere except home. That's my favorite time of the week. There is complete silence in the Garmon residence at that time, each reading their own pile of books. I may have many weaknesses as a mother, but helping my children love reading and learning is a great success that I will always cherish.
Ive compiled a list of books according to age groups. You don't have to follow it, since each child is different and receives learning differently.
Books for 18 months - 3 year olds:
Frog and Toad series and everything Lobel
Little Bear series (these books were Gillian's favorite at this age, and we read them so many times that she had memorized all the stories and would tell them to people.)
Henry and Mudge books
Curious George books (James' favorite)
Beatrix Potter tales
The Real Mother Goose
Eric Carle books
Margaret Wise Brown books
Clifford (I personally didn't like them very much, but the kids enjoyed them)
All Caldecott books (Go on line and google Caldecott winners, and then place them on hold at the library, or ask family to give to the children as presents for birthdays and Christmas)
All Golden Books (you can them find in used bookstore, as well as in other bookstores and Wal-mart.) These are my personal favorites since they have beautiful pictures and language.
Age 3-5:
Bearstein Bears books (an all time favorite in our home)
Dr. Seuss books (Jefferson's favorites)
Arthur series
Madeline books
Babar books
Angelina Ballerina series
Olivia books
Winnie the Pooh books
I Spy books
Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales
Leo Lionni books
Virginia Lee Barton books
Bedtime for Frances (and other Russell Hoban books)
Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
Jan Brett books
The story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf and many, many more. That's all I can think of for now.
Age 5-8:
DK books
Mike Venezia books
Magic Tree House books
Magic School Bus books
Amelia Bedelia
American Girls
Boxcar Children
Hardy Boys
Nancy Drew
Ato Z mysteries
Book of Virtues
Winnie the Pooh
The wind in the willows
A children's treasury of mythology
Age 8-12 (Most of these are classics and we read them as a family each night):
Secret Garden
Roald Dahl books (BFG being my children's favorite)
Cleary books
E.B.White books
Dr. Dolittle series
Pippi Longstocking series
Chronicles of Narnia series
A little house on the prairie series
Anne of Green Gables series
Harriet the Spy
Black Beauty
Pollyanna
Robinson Crusoe
Swiss Family Robinson
The Jungle Book
Treasure Island
Ella Enchanted (and other Levine books)
Mr. Popper's Penguins
A wrinkle in time
Shiloh
Where the red ferns grow
My side of the mountain
Mrs. Frisby and the rats of Nimh
The adventures of Tom Sawyer
The adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Oliver Twist
Great Expectations
Little Women/Little Men
Alice in Wonderland
Bridge to Tarabethia
e.l.konigsburg books
Frindle
The cricket in Times Square
The phantom Tollbooth
A little princess
Because of Winn Dixie
Wizard of Oz
Jules Verne books
Jane Austin books
Harry Potter series
And all Newberry winners since 1922
This is but a little list of books that my children love. I have no doubt that as soon as I publish this post many more will come to mind. This is a good start. There are many books out there that share suggestions on the best books for children (Jim Trelease'book being one of them ), as well as a lot of websites that can be of great help.
My favorite books that I liked while growing up were Pippi Longstocking, Dr. Dolittle, Jules Vernes books, and Charles Dickens books. I read Oliver Twist when I was very young. I was mesmerized by it and its story and language. Treasure Island came next. I found myself dreaming I was in the same boat as Jim, the boy of my girly dreams. Ivanhoe was to follow, and my soul was branded as an adventurous and romantic one. Anne of Green Gables and Jane Austin came later, but they truly converted me into being a strong and witty girl. Shakespeare and Plato added a dramatic flair and philosophical touch in my nature, and there you have it, I became the woman I am.
What are some of your favorite childhood books? What are some books that influenced who you became?
“There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all.”
You always amaze me with your passion for learning and reading! It is definitely something I have tried to more of since meeting you.
ReplyDeleteYour list is amazing! But for me it misses one series I read over and over as a girl: Little House on the Prairie books. LOVED them so much when I was a kid. I also loved Judy Blume in late elementary school. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Melita!! It is so nice to have a list to look at!! I am also happy that I have actually read some of those to the kids as well as myself! I will have to copy them and keep them so I can get them for the kids!!!
ReplyDelete