Today was our Stake Conference. I love stake conferences, especially the adult session. I receive a lot of personal inspiration as I listen to the leaders of our stake speak with the Spirit. We have a wonderful Stake Presidency and I was looking forward to listening to them. Needless to say, we had every intention to attend it, children and all.
Well, as you can guess, it didn't go according to plan. Elijah and I woke up late, and because the children knew it was Sunday and as obedient children that they are, they didn't wake up us. You see, our normal church starts at noon. We have instructed our children to not disturb us in the morning, and they are pretty good about it. The older boys play with Charlton, and Gillian sometimes feeds them breakfast.
Anyways, back to this morning. When Elijah and I woke up this morning, it was a bit late. We were feeding breakfast to our children, when Elijah asked me if we were going to conference. It was 10 minutes after 10 am, and conference started at 10 am. I started laughing and said that maybe next time, since this one has already begun. He proceeded to remind me that it was Standard Time change, and that we had almost 20 minutes to get ready, since it take 30 to 40 minutes to get to the Oakland Interstake Center, where our stake conference was being held. I looked at him and he seemed serious. After thinking for a second, I replied that I fully supported him to go. It would take longer for me to get ready than the time we had. He asked Gillian if she wanted to go, and she immediately responded yes. The boys followed. I was put to shame. Here comes the confession. In that second of thinking, I actually was imagining myself staying outside with Charlton the whole conference, and it didn't sound appealing to me, so I took the short cut. I don't know why. We've always attended stake conference, babies and all, but this rainy Sunday morning I felt it would be too much to get everybody ready in twenty minutes, as well as skip Charlton's nap and go to the meeting. I know I was wrong. I should have had more faith that the Lord would take care of things as we tried to do our best. I'm humbly grateful to my children and my husband for being a great example to me. I love this gospel, and one thing I have learned as I have practiced my religion is that WE WILL BE BLESSED as we choose the right. How blessed I feel to have such a wonderful family who teaches me to be better every day.
Since we are already in the topic of confessions, here comes another. This afternoon, while I was cooking dinner, I had one of those moments where I felt overwhelmed with gratitude and fulfillment. Elijah had gone to deliver a few pies to people he felt impressed to. He does this quite often as a way to serve others. What a great example he is to my children! I love him and I'm grateful for his love for the Saviour and his desire to become like Him each day.
Charlton was taking a nap, Gillian was reading to the boys, the rain was falling outside, and the fire in my fireplace was spreading its warmth throughout the house. To complete the peaceful scenery, ... and here comes my confessions... I had Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing HOLIDAY songs. Yes, I'm already listening to Christmas songs! They warm my soul and brighten my day. And I know this month is the month of thanksgiving, but what better way to feel grateful for what we have than rejoicing in the birth of our Saviour. I'm eternally grateful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for his birth, life, and resurrection, but mostly for his love, through which everything is possible.
And just so you won't think I'm the only one who is already listening to Christmas music, here is something I received in my email tonight:
It touched my heart seeing those people singing, and not just the choir members. I had tears on my cheeks as I was watching this video. Charlton was mesmerized and wanted to see it three times. It's not just the music that touches people's hearts. It's the message as well, because it is TRUE. Jesus is our King, forever and ever.
Handel's Messiah
allelujah (Aleluya)
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
For the lord God omnipotent reigneth
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
For the lord God omnipotent reigneth
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
For the lord God omnipotent reigneth
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
(For the lord God omnipotent reigneth)
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
For the lord God omnipotent reigneth
(Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah)
Hallelujah
The kingdom of this world;
is become
the kingdom of our Lord,
and of His Christ
and of His Christ
And He shall reign for ever and ever
And he shall reign forever and ever
And he shall reign forever and ever
And he shall reign forever and ever
King of kings forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah
and lord of lords forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah
King of kings forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah
and lord of lords forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah
King of kings forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah
and lord of lords
King of kings and lord of lords
And he shall reign
And he shall reign
And he shall reign
He shall reign
And he shall reign forever and ever
King of kings forever and ever
and lord of lords hallelujah hallelujah
And he shall reign forever and ever
King of kings and lord of lords
King of kings and lord of lords
And he shall reign forever and ever
Forever and ever and ever and ever
(King of kings and lord of lords)
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
Hallelujah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We missed you in the foyer at stake conference! Laura, Jenny, and I got to run in circles, play on the stairs, figure out the drinking fountain...Oh, were there speakers? Seemed to have missed that part.
ReplyDeleteI wish it were recordable like general conference. Then I could watch it over the course of a month during nap time.
Alex hates it when I chew gum. Apparently I smack my lips and chew in time to music. Good thing I don't chew gum often!
ReplyDelete