Considering I have had a fantastically busy month of vacationing and attending parties, I'm impressed with the amount of books I was able to read. Most of them were okay reads, but there were one or two that I thoroughly enjoyed. Here is the list for November:
71. Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler
This adventure thriller is hard to put down when you are trying to figure out what do a Persian treasure, a Nazi submarine, and Napoleon's wine bottles have in common in today's world. A bit of history, a bit of thriller, and a lot of imagination, this book was perfect for a relaxing afternoon.
72. A virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
I picked this book up at the library at the 'for sale' corner for 50 cents. I read a few good reviews, and then started reading it. It wasn't something I would choose to read, but it was an interesting book, with an unique style, plot, and ideas. The story of two very different people in the South whose lives are joined by love, compassion, and understanding. This was quite a different book from average fiction nowadays. It actually reminded me of Faulkner's novels. The author's gift for writing prose made me think this book would be a good book to study in school. It made me also think about what is truly important in life, and although my life is nothing like these long time ago characters, their search for a purpose rings true at all times.
73. Anne Frank by Rita Thievon Mullin and 74. Cleopatra by Susan Blackaby
I got a bunch of biographies the other day for Gillian to read, and these two caught my eye. I truly enjoyed reading them. They were well researched, organized and fully added with very interesting facts and pictures. Anne Frank's author gave a substantial background on the Anne Frank's family and neighborhood, as well as the details of their life in hiding. Cleopatra amuses me as an historical character. She's got it all: looks, money, brains. She lacked in luck. This book provided historical background on her as a woman, politician, stateswoman, and lover. Although these were short (about 120 pages each), I had a good time reading them. After seeing me read her books, Gillian grew restless to read them herself. I made a mental note to myself that showing interest in your kids' books gets them curious for them. Great tactic.
75. The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
I had made myself a promise not to read another one of Sparks books. This author takes great pleasure it seems when he kills off one or two characters from his novels. When I read fluff I want to read happy fluff. However, after purchasing it at the 'for sale' corner of the library, I thought I would give it another try. Boy, was I disappointed! I couldn't finish this book; it made me sick. The whole book was so intense and suspenseful emotionally that I couldn't handle it. A very jealous boyfriend, turned obsessive, turned murderer doesn't sound like a good book to me.
76. The Virgin's lover by Philippa Gregory
Gregory doesn't disappoint even though the story is one she has touched before. Queen Elizabeth, known as the Virgin Queen, and her relationship with Robert Dudley during her early years as a queen are beautifully described in this fun historical fiction. I only wished the author had told their whole story from the early years of their friendship and love to their later years of politics, loyalty and death. I guess after reading Sharon Key Penman's book Sunne In Splendor, and the amazing job she did in describing and offering family and childhood background of Richard III, I was excpecting more history than fiction. Nevertheless, it was a fun way to learn about the handsome and charming Robert Dudley.
77. Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
I was sitting one afternoon by the fire during one of those very rare quiet days, and was looking for something to read. My eyes caught Dostoevsky's name and I pulled this book out of my bookshelf. I'm a Dostoevsky fan, and have read most of his books, but for some reasons I hadn't read this one. It wasn't a book I wanted to read that afternoon, but I'm so glad I did. I'm blown away by this author. If I keep reading Dostoevsky, I will never finish any of my books. His style and depth of thought is that of a genius. Notes from Underground was depressing and dark, but it made me think and answer the numerous questions the author rose. This should be a book club book; it truly offers so many ideas on human nature and behaviour, on our thoughts, intentions, and emotions. I have to say that I wanted a book to put me to sleep, and this one woke up many kinds of emotions in my mind instead, emotions such as doubt, anger, resentment, as well as faith, hope, and courage. Very rarely I find a book that disarms me emotionally like this one did, and I was happy for that self-examination. A great book to read (after the holidays).
78. The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
79. Can you keep a secret by Sophie Kinsella
I read both of these books a few years ago, but I had to read them again while sunbathing in Hawaii. Perfect beach books, full of laughter and romance. A must read for any time.
What have you been reading lately? Any good books that you would recommend?
Happy reading and enjoy this beautiful month of celebration!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment